Incubators

ocdirtyjerz

incubators seem to have many different model series. Does anyone have knowledge of some of the main differences and what sets each one apart from the others?

ex: Amazon.com lists GQF Hova-Bator Thermal Air Flow Egg Incubator at a great 43% discount. The model number is G1602n. Another similar one has just 1602 as a model. I ended up choosing Thermal Hova Bator Incubator (1602-N. Anyone have this model and would like to give me some advice?

Hi....I don't have that model, but would be interested in knowing what you find out. I've done a lot of searching on this subject, and have come up with a small handful of incubators. The Hova-Bator seems pretty straightforward. It's the humidity control that I wonder about. Here's a new model of incubator that looks incricble although it's pricey.
http://www.reptileincubator.us/

i have the 6102-n model i think it is just smaller than the other model but ithink that it pretty much the same in design

Ive found 4-5" deep container full of moist vermiculite. dosnt need very much if any moisture added with an almost tight lid does the trick. the large quantity of verm i think is the key to not adding moisture.

I incubate my cham eggs at room temp in a dark closet near the core of my house to ensure stable temperature. I use a tupperware container with a few inches of moist vermiculite (wet it and wring it out until you can't get anymore water out of it) and bury the eggs about half way into it. I have one tiny hole in the lid of the container and I only have to add a small amount of water once during incubation on average. I know that Pam does hers the same way and I have read that others here do this as well. This works extremely well for chameleon eggs and I only check on them once a month or so until they get closer to hatching. Don't open the container when you check on them- it will cause a humidity and temperature fluctuation that can make the shells rubbery and hard for babies to break through.

As far as actual commercial incubators go, you can get nice hovabators off of Ebay for a reasonable price. A friend gave me mine after she got a newer model, and I am currently incubating button quail and emu eggs in it. It is model 2362N with the circulated air option. It seems to hold temperature within one degree variation and I don't have a problem with it, though I have found this thermometer/hygrometer to be very helpful. I also take a reading at another part of the incubator with a typical probe style thermometer. Keep in mind the fluctuations are normal and are cause by me opening the incubator to turn the eggs every 4-6 hours. If I were incubating reptile eggs, I could set them in and leave them, either directly in the bottom of the incubator or in tupperwares full of perlite or vermiculite. It is really useful if you have multiple species of eggs to incubate at once, so long as they take the same temperatures. Humidity is kept up by having a small dish of water in the incubator or spraying it lightly every so often. Don't spray directly on the eggs, though, or you will drown them. If they are reptile eggs and are in containers with vermiculite or perlite, you should be fine to leave them- just keep an eye on them and if they start to sink in or cave at all, add a few drops of water to the side of the container they are in.

As far as model differences, all I know of is that some have a "circulating air" function that helps keep the overall temperature and humidity even by lightly moving the air around, rather than just letting it sit still. It could give you a better hatch rate, but people have plenty of success with the basic models as well. Hovabator is a great brand.

What are you incubating? Jackson's are livebearers.

I incubate my cham eggs at room temp in a dark closet near the core of my house to ensure stable temperature. I use a tupperware container with a few inches of moist vermiculite (wet it and wring it out until you can't get anymore water out of it) and bury the eggs about half way into it. I have one tiny hole in the lid of the container and I only have to add a small amount of water once during incubation on average. I know that Pam does hers the same way and I have read that others here do this as well. This works extremely well for chameleon eggs and I only check on them once a month or so until they get closer to hatching. Don't open the container when you check on them- it will cause a humidity and temperature fluctuation that can make the shells rubbery and hard for babies to break through.

As far as actual commercial incubators go, you can get nice hovabators off of Ebay for a reasonable price. A friend gave me mine after she got a newer model, and I am currently incubating button quail and emu eggs in it. It is model 2362N with the circulated air option. It seems to hold temperature within one degree variation and I don't have a problem with it, though I have found this thermometer/hygrometer to be very helpful. I also take a reading at another part of the incubator with a typical probe style thermometer. Keep in mind the fluctuations are normal and are cause by me opening the incubator to turn the eggs every 4-6 hours. If I were incubating reptile eggs, I could set them in and leave them, either directly in the bottom of the incubator or in tupperwares full of perlite or vermiculite. It is really useful if you have multiple species of eggs to incubate at once, so long as they take the same temperatures. Humidity is kept up by having a small dish of water in the incubator or spraying it lightly every so often. Don't spray directly on the eggs, though, or you will drown them. If they are reptile eggs and are in containers with vermiculite or perlite, you should be fine to leave them- just keep an eye on them and if they start to sink in or cave at all, add a few drops of water to the side of the container they are in.

As far as model differences, all I know of is that some have a "circulating air" function that helps keep the overall temperature and humidity even by lightly moving the air around, rather than just letting it sit still. It could give you a better hatch rate, but people have plenty of success with the basic models as well. Hovabator is a great brand.

What are you incubating? Jackson's are livebearers.

Thanks for the info. I am just gonna stick to the cheap simple route. Obviously not Jackson's. Gold Dust Gecko eggs.

Back
Top Bottom