Incubation tubs for veiled chameleon eggs?

StickyPad

Incubating eggs soon....
Was wondering if the tubs with eggs in should have lids on while incubating?
Just as a final check :)
Thanks!

I was going to put 4 eggs per tub in a large incubator at 29 degrees Celsius...
The eggs will be buried half deap in incubation substrate and facing up for roughly 6-9 months :)
Sound about right?

I was going to put 4 eggs per tub in a large incubator at 29 degrees Celsius...
The eggs will be buried half deap in incubation substrate and facing up for roughly 6-9 months :)
Sound about right?

Incubation is a complex balance of temperature and humidity that you can't cover in one or two sentences.

Things you need to think about: How much air exchange in your containers? You can't just seal them up completely, nor can you leave them completely open. What are you using for "incubation substrate" and what is the water content? How are you measuring water content of your incubation medium and how will you replenish it when it starts to dry? What are you using as an incubator and how accurate can it hold the temperature? If you are getting temperature swings of a few degrees that is not necessarily bad as long as you are in the middle of the acceptable range for that species. If you set it at the high end you will cook the eggs if it swings higher.

A whole book could be written about incubation........

Also, my veileds always did better when incubated cooler, like 82F max. Yes, it took longer but worth it.

This is my bag of vermiculite. You add water in a bucket until it is moist and clingy but not dripping. I will spray the available parts of the water when it gets dry. If temp rises, my incubator will cool down to neutralise it

The tubs have holes pricked in the sides but not enough to make the vermiculite fall out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 187
Sorry!
This is my incubator :)
It's a lucky reptile 'herp nursery'

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 177
Whoops!
THIS is my vermiculite

That's perlite. That's what I use too. I wet it by soaking until it absorbs all it can, then I drain off all except about 1/4" of standing water at the bottom. You can easily tell if the water gets low by looking through the side of your containers. Make sure to put a deep layer of perlite, like each container at least halfway full.

When you need to add more water, don't mist! The eggs hate that. Use water that is very close to your incubating temperature and pour it carefully away from the eggs.

I never bother burying the eggs halfway. I just set them on top of the loose perlite and slightly settle them in so they don't roll around.

I always put as many eggs as will fit in each container with about a half inch between them so they can grow without touching. Also if one goes bad, it won't be touching the others and you can pick it out of there.

Your tub holes look about right, but you'll have to monitor your setup to make sure you have condensation forming on the tops and sides of the containers. If you incubator has a fan, you might end up taping over a few holes to get it right.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom