Incubating Debate!

CamiGirl89

Ok, so I have heard SO many different ways to incubate a veiled chameleon clutch. If I have your typical chicken incubator, what do you all recommend? I have "HatchRight" from the petstore, and a thermometer in my incubator. Now. 68 degrees? Or 85? :)

All I can tell you is what I've done and how its worked.

I have a "homemade" incubator...consists of a human heating pad with 3 heat settings on it. There is a frame of 2" x 2" wood pieces built to fit over it. That it screened in. I sit the shoe-box sized containers of eggs resting on slightly moist vermiculite on top of the screen and raise the frame until the temperature in the containers is at about 74F. I put the whole setup in the basement where I rarely have the lights on and there are no windows in the room.

For veileds, I have had almost 100% hatch rate of fertile eggs and I've hatched water dragons, turtles/tortoises, several species of geckos and chameleons, coneheads, etc. using this set up.

Ok thank you! I was actually able to obtain an incubator, so I will set mine around 74F. My apartment is usually 68F, and my closed (which is where the incubator is at) always feels colder. I have placed the incubator in there, and have filled the bottom with "HatchRight". My female is beginning to inspect her nesting area so now all I have to do is sit on pins and needles while I wait..... :) Thanks for your help!

I wouldn't call it a debate. It is just that many methods can be used successfully as long as the eggs are in a reasonable temperature range with a reasonable amount of moisture available to them.

So you're just putting the eggs directly into the incubator...not in containers with lids that have the hatchrite and eggs in them? Is that the normal way people do it?

Haha I don't really think that there is a "normal" way of doing it. But so long as the substrate, humidity, temperature, and conditions are correct, then the eggs should be fine. The incubator is the typical styrophome ones that you hatch chicks in. Basically, it is a holder with a lid that makes heat. There are ventilation holes at the top and an air circulator. I asked the breeder that I purchased my male from about this method, and she said that she has heard of success rates being just as good with this method. Doesn't matter if they are in a tupperware or not, so long as they have the hatching substrate that won't mold them, and the proper temperatures and humidity, it will hatch a veiled! :)

Did you just respond to your own inquiry? LOL

Anyway- what you just said is true but I would be very careful about things drying out very quickly using a standard havobator with standard ventilation holes in the lid...

An air circulator (fan) with your eggs uncovered is also very risky as well. I have tried this a couple of times with iguana eggs and the results were a complete disaster. Moving air over the eggs will dry/kill the outer shells pretty quickly. At least that was my experience.

Basically it takes away the "reasonable amount of moisture" available to the shells that I mentioned earlier.

I use no ventilation with tupperware sandwich containers and it is not a problem at all. They require very little air. Close your vents and turn off your circulator, or put them in containers and seal them or use tiny air holes (pinholes) before putting the containers in the incubator.

Standard havobator vents and an air fan is asking for trouble.
Just a friendly warning from experience...

Alright thank you! Yes, I kind of answered my own inquiry once I talked to her lol. I wanted quick answers due to the discomfort my female was showing... I knew I needed something quickly!

I asked the question because, having never used anything but what I described as an incubator, I'm concerned that the eggs could dry out depending on how your incubator works.

If you do not have the correct humidity or use the air-flow circulator, yes they could dry up. However, so long as I check my humidity gage (for lack of a better word) and make sure that once every one or two weeks i open the top just to get a small amount of air flow, we will be good to go!

so what is the prime temp than?

Mine are currently at 74-78 degrees F, and doing well. I don't know if there is a "prime temp" really, but I do know that they should be kept between 68-79 degrees F. Much cooler or warmer than that and issues could develop. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom