Incandescent bulbs

dinomom

Chameleon Enthusiast
So being in CA there is not an incandescent bulb in sight. I am using the last one from the batch I hoarded years ago.

I do have a dozen or more Zoomed Daylight Blue bulbs from the past. I know that colored lights are not preferred, would it be harmful to use them until gone or do I just need to toss?

Blue light can damage human eyes. Whether or not it can damage chameleons eyes I can't say. I don't know if, because they have a negative lens, unlike humans, it would be the same for chameleons or not....but I'm betting it does. I don't have enough knowledge in that area.

Are they specifically ILLEGAL in California?
I get these on Ebay for less than $2 a bulb

Attachments

• 20210313_151657.jpg
    20210313_151657.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210313_151617.jpg
    20210313_151617.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 69
Are they specifically ILLEGAL in California?
I get these on Ebay for less than $2 a bulb
I think it is even illegal to ship them here. BUT this is a great idea, ebay sellers selling to an individual not likely to get "caught" by the energy police. I'll give it a try!

I'm not 100% familiar with the situation in CA, but here in NJ we do gave something similar. Only specialty incandescent can really be found. Most pet stores still have incandescent bulbs. LLL Reptile, wich is based in CA still sells aside variety of basking bulbs. I believe it is primarily targeted at regular household bulbs.

I'm not 100% familiar with the situation in CA, but here in NJ we do gave something similar. Only specialty incandescent can really be found. Most pet stores still have incandescent bulbs. LLL Reptile, wich is based in CA still sells aside variety of basking bulbs. I believe it is primarily targeted at regular household bulbs.
Thank you. I have some contraband bulbs (LOL) coming from eBay, and I found 4 more 60 watts that I must have had stashed for 4 or 5 years! so crisis averted for the moment...

I'm glad you posted this question because I just assumed I could buy incandescent bulbs, but now I see ebay would be the best choice.
5 years ago, these were dirt cheap and now they're becoming more scarce. Why is lighting so complicated?!!? (Yes, I realize this is more about heat but it is technically a light;))

You pay more because one says "Basking bulb" and has a photo of a lizard on the box.
A standard, household, incandescent flood bulb is the exact same bulb and costs 20% of the pet shop price.

I'm glad you posted this question because I just assumed I could buy incandescent bulbs, but now I see ebay would be the best choice.
5 years ago, these were dirt cheap and now they're becoming more scarce. Why is lighting so complicated?!!? (Yes, I realize this is more about heat but it is technically a light;))
Going green can be a double-edged sword in some respects. Can't always depend on lawmakers to see & be aware of every niche.

There may come a time when we'll have to combine LEDs with CHEs to achieve the same effects as an incandescent bulb. 🤷‍♂️

Can you not just use a reptile basking bulb from the pet store and measure the temps to get it at the right height? Thats what i use for mine. Granted i have to lift it from the enclosure to get the appropriate temps, but it works!

Can you not just use a reptile basking bulb from the pet store and measure the temps to get it at the right height? Thats what i use for mine. Granted i have to lift it from the enclosure to get the appropriate temps, but it works!
Sure.
But they aren't available everywhere now.
And more laws against incandescent bulbs are coming.

Time will tell if California is ahead of the curve or just being a little REDICULOUS again.
I think their heart was in the right place, but they didn't foresee some reasonable exceptions/loopholes. We've converted every lightbulb in the house to LED except the 2 basking lamps in the enclosures.

Sure, you can buy special "reptile bulbs", but from everything I've heard & read here & elsewhere, they're 💩. The extra fuel expended in manufacturing an inferior product, having to replace it more often, and shipping cancels the "green" and then some.

I just went to wal mart to get a pack of incandescent light bulbs wine I thought my daytime blue light from zoo med had blown and there were no incandescent bulbs there anywhere!! I settled for 60 watt halogen bulbs. That’s all they had besides the LED bulbs. Can the halogen bulbs be used for heat lights for our charms?

Back
Top Bottom