In Memory of Daedalus

Olimpia

Biologist & Ecologist
Daedalus passed away while I was out of the country. He suffered an intestinal prolapse some time before, which we swiftly treated at the vet. He did fine for nearly two weeks, eating, drinking, and pooping just fine. I wasn't even worried when I left, the vet and I were confident that was that. And then suddenly, according to my father, he was dead on the floor with no warning two days after I left.

Of all my chameleons Daedalus was my secret favorite. There was just something about this little blue guy from the first day. He also had a beautiful temperament, and was the chameleon that I took with me to reptile shows, teaching opportunities, and anywhere else. He was only 3.5 years old, so too young.

Rest in peace, Chub-nub.

Him at 2.5 months old, newly arrived from The Chameleon Company.

gdls.jpg

Two of my favorite photos of him, both at 2 years old.

y6e8.jpg

a0eu.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss Olimpia! Daedalus was always a very handsome cham. He was blessed to have you as an owner and such a great home. That's terrible that it happened while you were gone too. I'm very sorry for your loss and know he will be very missed. :(

I am so sorry to read about your loss... I fear this same thing everytime I travel.

I remember the month that I signed up on these forum Daedalus was the picture contest winner that month and I was just blown away by his blues...

I have no doubt that he spread the love and fascination we share as chameleonforum members to everyone who laid eyes on him.

Thanks guys. My dad was nice enough not to say anything until I got back yesterday, and thankfully kept him instead of throwing him away or something.

I know it wasn't his fault, he's excellent with the animals and I have everything as automated as possible. In fact, my youngest African fat-tailed gecko has literally doubled in size and weight while I was gone so I know that he does a great job with the reptiles.

But who knows what went wrong. Perhaps a complication from surgery.

Olimpia, I am so sorry to hear about Daedalus. I always knew he was your favorite, you just loved him so much, and had to be sure his kids went to good homes. It always hurts to lose one of our chams that we love but I know losing Daedalus, is a big blow to you.

Even if you had been here the result most likely have been the same and lots of times we never know what happened. Just remember he was loved and well cared for. A part of him will go on with his babies.

Last edited:
So Sorry to hear about Daedalus. :( The third picture of him is a work of art! It is never easy to lose one of the family, especially one so special.

Rest In Paradise little one.

Awe Olimpia, so sorry to hear this. He was a gorgeous boy. That was so good of your dad not to ruin your vacation by telling you. I would have done the very same thing. Like I have said before, it does not matter sometimes how good we take care of them...things just happen that are out of our control. He will be missed on the forums! RIP

Olimpia, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I was just reading about Daedalus and his prolapse the other day on your blog and was so happy that everything went well and that he was doing much better.

He will be missed!

Olimpia, I don't know if you remember me, but I always used to post around two years ago.

Back when I signed up on this forum, I remember looking at photos of Daedalus. Now two years later, this is my first post. My condolences are with you. RIP Daedalus.

Back
Top Bottom