importing to the uk.(or in general)

Curlytails

Established Member
i have developed a love for Furcifer lateralis and want to import a male and female into the uk to grow on and breed. they are impossible to find here and its super annoying. i want to be able to make them more available and captive bred so they arent taken from the wild. i know thats ironic but i want to make these beautiful creatures more available and i would love to be able to own a pair.

Captive bred carpet chameleons are extremely rare to find, at least here in the US where I live. I've been waiting patiently for months to get a captive bred juvenile from Frank Payne, but the little buggers sell FAST. I assume you're talking about importing wild caught specimens? They are much cheaper and more readily available, but they usually last 6 months or less in captivity - and they already have quite short lifespans compared to commonly kept species (even when bred and reared in captivity).

I think your heart is sure in the right place, though!! The world absolutely needs more healthy, captive bred lats. You could definitely try getting a wildcaught male and female, but there is no guarantee they will breed or survive long enough to do so, unfortunately. They are usually horribly riddled with parasites, so you would absolutely have to make sure to quarantine them from your other chameleons.

There are a couple really fantastic episodes of the chameleon breeder podcast on the topic of lateralis keeping/breeding, so I would give those a listen

always looking for a way to help the hobby. no one in the uk really owns anything but ambilobes and yemens. we need variation but i cant find any importers

As I'm moving to the UK soon I've been doing a lot of research on the species available there by different breeders. I can tell you that there must be some people there with captive bred specimens. I've been doing a lot of surfing on Reptile forums UK. I can't remember how recent the advert was on RFUK but there was a CB male advertised there.

When I get over there I would also love to work with this species. Who knows, maybe you and I can do a collaboration on establishing a few bloodlines of the less commonly available species there! Very keen!

I've also been looking at how importing of exotic animals are done in the UK and it looks a lot more straight forward and stress free than the procedures for South Africa so I am sure it is possible. Although brexit might be posing some new challenges. Still I don't think it should be that difficult. I would probably stay away from importing any wildcaught chameleons and rather import CB from the German and Netherlands breeders.

Last edited:
As I'm moving to the UK soon I've been doing a lot of research on the species available there by different breeders. I can tell you that there must be some people there with captive bred specimens. I've been doing a lot of surfing on Reptile forums UK. I can't remember how recent the advert was on RFUK but there was a CB male advertised there.

When I get over there I would also love to work with this species. Who knows, maybe you and I can do a collaboration on establishing a few bloodlines of the less commonly available species there! Very keen!
someday... studying at the moment so not anytime soon but i would love to work with someone and potentially improve the hobby for a lot of people

someday... studying at the moment so not anytime soon but i would love to work with someone and potentially improve the hobby for a lot of people

What you currently studying? I finished my honours in geology this side and will probably look at doing a masters in the UK. Goodluck with the rest of the degree!

i think i might miss a very big chance here... i found a cb female and a cb male and i cant get them...

Back
Top Bottom