Impacted chameleon

Kylieannzoey

I think my chemelion may be impacted. I’ve tried mineral oil and it dosnt say how much but we’ve been giving her small doses, we’ve also given her 10-15 minutes or warm baths. I’ve tried everything. Dose anyone have any advice?

Warm baths don't really do anything unfortunately. What leads you to believe she is impacted? How long has it been since you have found any poop in her enclosure?

I’m not sure. I think maybe about a week. Me and my mom just figured it out the other day. We thought that the white stuff was just a calcium overload because I put it in her water and she has been drinking a lot.

This is her

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 37
When did she lay last and how many eggs were in each clutch? do you have a lay bin in the cage for her if so what substrate are you using.

January is when she last laid , she laid between 20-24.i creat a raise of the sand and she digs into that . We use sand.

I’m not sure. I think maybe about a week. Me and my mom just figured it out the other day. We thought that the white stuff was just a calcium overload because I put it in her water and she has been drinking a lot.
What do you mean white stuff? What did you find? You really do not want to put any supplements into their water. What were you using to do this?

It was just a clump of white would look like poo but there was no brown. It was just calcium. My neighbor has chameleon and he used to that white his. He said “ Her grip looks a little weak calcium should fix it.” So I put just a tiny bit in there

It was just a clump of white would look like poo but there was no brown. It was just calcium. My neighbor has chameleon and he used to that white his. He said “ Her grip looks a little weak calcium should fix it.” So I put just a tiny bit in there
So white as in a dried up urate?

My bet is she is coming into having another clutch. Some females can have issues with this if they are holding too many eggs. Also where the eggs are can make it harder for them to pass fecal and urate. Especially if they are holding a larger clutch. This can make them start to decline in health. Making sure they have access to dripping water helps give them the option to drink the more hydrated they are the easier it is to pass the fecal and urate.

With her being 4 years old this is older for a female. They can end up with reproductive issues and follicular stasis.

The only way to know for sure what is going on is to get her into a good reptile vet and have them take an xray and maybe even run blood work.

One more question, what would you do in this situation? We don’t have any vets within 3 hours. And I’m afraid to take her in and she gets boched by a wana be reptile vet.

One more question, what would you do in this situation? We don’t have any vets within 3 hours. And I’m afraid to take her in and she gets boched by a wana be reptile vet.
I also read through the forms and oxytocin is used for this situation that can only be prescribed cause it’s a drug?

With females once they start to decline you really have to catch it early. There are links in this thread to help find vets near you https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/veterinarian-resources.67/
I also read through the forms and oxytocin is used for this situation that can only be prescribed cause it’s a drug?
Yes, but only a vet can give it. If it is a matter of egg binding then they give them a shot. If it is something like follicular stasis the only thing to fix that is for the chameleon to be spayed. Blood work will tell a lot as well. If it is an infection etc.

You can call the vet and ask questions as well. See how long they have worked with chameleons, what type and maybe explain your situation to them. Its a valid fear to going to a vet that doesn't actually know chameleons so speaking to one for a minute may help you check one out before you make the long journey to get her to a vet.

You said…”I also read through the forms and oxytocin is used for this situation that can only be prescribed cause it’s a drug?”…oxytocin will only work for a certain time during the reproductive process…and by the time we all wish it would work, it’s too late for it to help.

You said…”We got her at market. She has laid eggs twice”…
and “January is when she last laid , she laid between 20-24”…they can lay eggs every 130 or so days…so she should have laid them in June…is may be that she’s eggbound as @Beman has already mentioned.

You said…”We think she is 4”…she’s done well to get to be that age…if that really is how old she is….but they can live to be 7 or even older if the husbandry is good.

A visit with a good exotics vet sounds like your only option. The longer you wait the less chance she will have of surviving the spaying that will likely be needed to save her.
They can go down hill really quickly.

Back
Top Bottom