Impacted Chameleon

Olivia2174

Hi everyone, I am having some trouble with my veiled chameleon Peach. I noticed that she was straining to go to the bathroom and was unable to poop. I tried giving her pear puree (she threw it up), and I gave her plenty of warm soaks while massaging her belly. I even gave her mineral oil to try to help and pedialyte to keep her hydrated. Nothing worked, so I made the decision on taking her to the vets after a couple of days. My vet soaked her and said he got her stool a little softened, then prescribed her with lactulose and told me to keep giving her the pedialyte as well. It has been three days, no poop yet. I'm honestly terrified, I can feel the poop inside and it's still pretty hard, and the poor thing is visibly dehydrated with broken ribs from straining so much. I am scared that I messed up on giving her too many superworms and that she didn't chew them all the way or something. Will those even be able to digest properly? Since today is sunday I can't call my vet but I plan on it tomorrow. I was just curious- has anyone else experienced this? If so, what are the next options for my Peach if this stuff doesn't work? I just don't want her to give up. :(

Pear puree and warm
Soaks are a very bad idea
Never do again

I suggest to show the animal to us
Second, it needs lits of liquids
Third, it needs a massage of the belly

do not experiment with oils, you damage the whole homeostasis

I would say a look at the other care is in order. It's not normal for a cham to become that badly impacted, regardless of what it ate.
Honestly couldn't tell you, I have another veiled who's 2 years old and hasn't had any issues. I'm thinking she could've possibly ate dirt too? She always munches on her pothos.

Pear puree and warm
Soaks are a very bad idea
Never do again

I suggest to show the animal to us
Second, it needs lits of liquids
Third, it needs a massage of the belly

do not experiment with oils, you damage the whole homeostasis
Oh, I didn't know that considering my veterinarian soaked her while massaging her belly. I have been giving her plenty of liquids, she still drinks and has access to water at all times. He also told me to give her the pedialyte mixture 3 times a day, which is what I have been doing as well. She is strictly receiving the water, pedialyte, and lactulose at this moment. There's just still no poop and it's unsettling with how hard the stool still feels inside of her. Now, any specific tips on massaging her? I tend to run down her belly, but I don't know how else to do it considering she has broken ribs.

Attachments

• peach.jpg
    peach.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 193
  • peach 2.jpg
    peach 2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 144
Her eyes look sunken in but lets deal with the main problem right now. Do you have any idea what she could've eaten?

Just wondering....could it have to do something with the chitin rate? How much did you feed her
That's what I'm curious about. I fed her five. They were a decent size, so now I'm curious if I'm at fault...ugh. If that's what it is, does chitin break down?

Oh, I didn't know that considering my veterinarian soaked her while massaging her belly. I have been giving her plenty of liquids, she still drinks and has access to water at all times. He also told me to give her the pedialyte mixture 3 times a day, which is what I have been doing as well. She is strictly receiving the water, pedialyte, and lactulose at this moment. There's just still no poop and it's unsettling with how hard the stool still feels inside of her. Now, any specific tips on massaging her? I tend to run down her belly, but I don't know how else to do it considering she has broken ribs.
It looks the constipation is serious and in that case I would advise an xray. A piece of dirt can easily block their intestine. Especially When the Chamaeleon is obese, which is the case here. Very probably, if the intestine is really blocked, either full intestine flush or surgery is the only chance for your poor animal.
Do not wait too long because the auto intoxication process has very likely already begun

Since today is sunday I can't call my vet but I plan on it tomorrow.

Oh, I didn't know that considering my veterinarian soaked her while massaging her belly.

Did I miss something? These posts seem inconsistent unless the OP has had this same problem before?

Whether it’s impaction or eggs only the vet can tell with an X-ray. That said, prognosis doesn’t look good.

For the future, always have an egg bin for females and as for soil around live plants, cover with stones or something your Cham won’t swallow.

Last edited:
Did I miss something? These posts seem inconsistent unless the OP has had this same problem before?

Whether it’s impaction or eggs only the vet can tell with an X-ray. That said, prognosis doesn’t look good.

For the future, always have an egg bin for females and as for soil around live plants, cover with stones or something your Cham won’t swallow.

I have already taken her to the vets. I can’t call him today because it’s Sunday..? She was already diagnosed. Just asking for advice as stated above in my original post. She is constipated but the lactulose doesn’t seem to be helping quite yet..so I was asking if there was anything I could do in the meantime until I call my vet tomorrow.

Already has been! Asking if anyone had any personal experience with a constipated chameleon or advice.
Did your vet take X-rays to rule out egg binding? If so, if you can get her to take hornworms, they are basically bags of water which will not only help hydrate her but lubricate the passage of stool. When my leopard gecko was impacted and the Lactulose and all other interventions didn’t work, they gave me Cisapride which did the trick.

Back
Top Bottom