Im posting some pictures of Zippies set up.

ZippiesPal

I took these after I installed his dripper.

Someone had posted the idea of poking a small hole in a hamster watering bottle. I did that, but I poked too big a hole and the water just ran out in couple minutes.
I got a small 'Swedgelock' needle valve that I installed in line to control the drips.

Here are some pictures (I hope)

It drips about nine drips per minute. I can control the valve to make it more or less. He also has the Habba-Mist, whick is more help to his plant than Zippy.

Attachments

• Zippy 003.jpg
    Zippy 003.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 220
  • Zippy 005.jpg
    Zippy 005.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Zippy 010.jpg
    Zippy 010.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 199
It looks good! I would maybe bring some of those vines closer to the lights and maybe get a bigger plant until that ficus gets a bit bigger. Looks good though:)

I also have to say it. I think Zippie is a female. She also appears to be rather "filled out" in those pics. I would also get a laying bin ready.

How would I know...

... for sure if zippy is a girl? I have a vet appointment on 5/5/2010, but is there an obveyous sign I can see now?

I was counting my blessing that I had a boy because of the whole egg laying P.I.T.A that some others have gone through on this site.

The ficus IS small, but Zippy still hangs out in it pretty well.

I have only had Zippy for a little over a week, and were still getting used to eachother.

If Zippy is a SHE, then I better get the laying bin thing right. If I just get a small square bucket and fill it with clean white sand and place that in the bottom of HER cage. The cage is onlt 2' by 2', and that just doesnt leave much room in the bottom for the ficus.

I can get more plants, and vines and stuff. I just didnt want to clutter up the front so I could still get the ficus out of there when I need to.

Attachments

• Zippy 016.jpg
    Zippy 016.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 150
My females cage is probably the same size, i have a 24"x24"x48 as well as a ficus in it but i still manage to fit a decent sized (card board box, cut and slimmed down enough to fit lined with a plastic bag and filled with a soil/sand mix about 75/25%) which has worked great 3 times so far no issues. She just finished recently.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/edema-34985/ picture here. not the best subject to refer back to but everything is going great with her now.

Nice looking Cham !, i think you should put more plants and branches near to the dripper for easy access.

... for sure if zippy is a girl? I have a vet appointment on 5/5/2010, but is there an obveyous sign I can see now?

I was counting my blessing that I had a boy because of the whole egg laying P.I.T.A that some others have gone through on this site.

The ficus IS small, but Zippy still hangs out in it pretty well.

I have only had Zippy for a little over a week, and were still getting used to eachother.

If Zippy is a SHE, then I better get the laying bin thing right. If I just get a small square bucket and fill it with clean white sand and place that in the bottom of HER cage. The cage is onlt 2' by 2', and that just doesnt leave much room in the bottom for the ficus.

I can get more plants, and vines and stuff. I just didnt want to clutter up the front so I could still get the ficus out of there when I need to.

Definitely a female and a sexy one at that:D You can tell by the color of her. If it was a male at that size it would be showing lots of male colors. She has the orange/pinkish colors of a female.

Dont worry about her being a female. You can always see if you can trade her for a male from the breeder or keep her. My first panther was supposed to be a male but instead I got a beautiful female and I would have not changed that for anything. Females are my favorite of this species. They might not show all the flashy colors but they sure do have a nice color scheme!!! And "personalities" are usually pretty cool:) You should be able to get away with a bin that is 12x12x12 filled with your choice of laying medium. Do not fill it to the top though. Leave a few inches so she is not spilling the dirt out of the container. She will need it to fill the hole back in. You definitely want to keep her food intake to a minimum starting now. She looks to be a good size in the photos. Around 6 crix every other day. This will keep her egg count down which in turn will not take as much toll on her body as a large clutch number. It is pretty easy to tell when the female is gravid. Besides getting fatter her colors should also be an indicator. Honestly she looks like she could be holding right now. It may just be her angle in the second pic too but...

I have to ask why you are taking her to the vet already? I am not saying its a bad thing but if she is CB then you may just take a fecal in for them to test it. Even if she was a WC I would wait a bit to take it to the vet. She is just getting used to her cage and new surroundings and a vet trip will only make it harder and longer for her to start acclimating. Of course it is your decision and not a bad one!!!! If it was me I would just get a fecal test on her and let her be.

Like I said, dont worry!!! Females are great:D

Now I have TWO reasons...

1) to find out if he is really a girl.
2) to verify health and discover any unknown problems early.

(S)he eats good and is really climbing around nice, so I have no worries.

I wanted a boy:confused:

1) to find out if he is really a girl.
2) to verify health and discover any unknown problems early.

(S)he eats good and is really climbing around nice, so I have no worries.

I wanted a boy:confused:

Zippiespal, you do not have to find out anymore if Zippy is really a girl...
Zippy is a 100% girl... a male that age and that size would have somewhat looked like this:
DSC_0004.jpg

You got a girl, dude.
And a plump one too.. I suggest putting a laying bucket soon for her. She seemed to be ready to lay.

and just for info, here is what a female panther looked like:
3570838508_7a6d808289.jpg

A laying bin is a must for any chameleon 6 months or older if you don't know what they look like when they start carrying eggs and aren't very expierenced with breeding. I have laying bins in with every female 5 months and old just so they can get used to the bin and maybe think to themselves on occasion "Dang that is just and amazing spot to lay eggs, I can't wait to lay a nice, white, fertile clutch for my loving owner in there". that is a very healthy and nicely colored female though. just think of it this way, now you can convince yourself it's alright to get another chams because you really wanted a male. I have given up on justifying my new additions and just say "Hey I have extra cages and plenty of extra food, I need another cham to fill them" And yes I know thats justifying but myself won't let myself get a cham unless I convince myself. He's a stickler and always needs a reason to get another, not just cuz he wants one. Lol, I can't believe I talked about myself in third person like that for so long. Just add a nice umbrella plant right in the center to give some good coverage and throw in a few more vines in the top half and I think she will be a happy little, er big girl. Good luck :)

Justin

You will definitely need a laying bin in case she cycles and has eggs. But I have read if you keep the warmest part of the cage in the low 80's without a basking lamp it can keep females from cycling.

Jason H, that's usually only veileds. Panthers you can't really stop once they start, but you can make the clutches smaller.

Back
Top Bottom