Illness?

Camo__

My cham is a female (has a laying bin in her cage cage is a mesh cage from a chameleon kit from petco/petsmart I am currently feeding her large mealworms for the past 1-2 mounts she has been eating 3 every 4 days I offer food everyday. she has not been falling/losing grip of branches that I know if every night I spray her mouth as a source for water.
So, the images below are what I'm worried about I read a article ago about some illness that lives in the armpits I tried to find the article but was unable to.

I always make sure to wash my hands after feeding and handling and things I touched

Attachments

• 20191011_114731.jpg
    20191011_114731.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 89
And you do have some other issues to be concerned about. We can help you resolve them if you filled out this form.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

And you do have some other issues to be concerned about. We can help you resolve them if you filled out this form.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - Villed chamelon, female, Mabe a year? Unknown.in my care Since August-july about.

◦ Handling - not that often at most once a day. I dont bring her out everyday?

◦ Feeding - large superworms about 3-4 but she only eats every four days I offer her food everyday. Around 6:00 am and pm. I am gut loading them baby carrots.

◦ Supplements - I do not dust my feeders with anything unless I have crickets when I do I shake the with repti-calcium without D3s

◦ Watering - at nights I spray her mouth area with water she drinks it

◦ Fecal Description - never been tested for parisites, he has had a loss of appetite so I have not seen the poop

◦ History - I know no information expect from I got her from petco or petsmart
(Sorry about grammer)

Cage- screen

◦ Lighting -heatlamp and uv bulb heat light from exo terrain daytime heatlamp

◦ Temperature - baking-80-90 bottom 75-80 (guess)

◦ Plants --no regular fake plants

◦ Placement - on the floor of my room it is near a fan that is sometimes on. also by a window

Current Problem - some type of illness that I'm unaware of and I want her to live her best life

Attachments

• 20191011_155557.jpg
    20191011_155557.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 20191011_155601.jpg
    20191011_155601.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 75
Hi there can you please post pics of your chameleon and your entire enclosure lights down?

You were told in a previous thread that you should be feeding her crickets. Mealworms are not a good choice as an everyday food.
Silkworms, hornworms, roaches also are good foods for her. She needs proper food to keep her healthy.
Crickets, roaches should be fed things like dandelions, kale, collards, endive, mustard greens, carrots, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, and a very little bit of fruit such as berries, melon, Apples, pears, etc.

Are you dusting the insects just before you feed them to,the chameleon with the calcium powder in the photo? Do you have a calcium powder with D3 in it too? A vitamin powder? You need all three or you need Repashy LoD.

Are you now turning the UVB light out at night so she has NO light at night?

CANV is a fungal infection. It will take a test to find out if that's what it is.
Is the problem only under one arm?
How long has it been there? Is it growing?

I am going to go through everything and put my notes in red bold. Please let me know what you have questions on?

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - Villed chamelon, female, Mabe a year? Unknown.in my care Since August-july about. Has she laid eggs yet? does she have a permanent lay bin?

◦ Handling - not that often at most once a day. I dont bring her out everyday? that is fine.

◦ Feeding - large superworms about 3-4 but she only eats every four days I offer her food everyday. Around 6:00 am and pm. I am gut loading them baby carrots. Ok superworms are low in nutritional value so they are used when feeding other feeders. I will post an image sheet on feeder types. She should only be fed in the morning so she can bask all day to digest. The gutload needs to be improved upon see image sheet. We gutload not to feed the insects but to pass on nutritional diversity to the chameleon.

◦ Supplements - I do not dust my feeders with anything unless I have crickets when I do I shake the with repti-calcium without D3s She must have calcium without D3 at every feeding and calcium with D3 2 times a month as well as a multivitamin 2 times a month. These two we rotate week over week. This is extremely important for a female with egg production.

◦ Watering - at nights I spray her mouth area with water she drinks it. If she is this desperate to drink then you are not misting the cage or providing a constant water source for her. This is not good.

◦ Fecal Description - never been tested for parisites, he has had a loss of appetite so I have not seen the poop I would suggest taking a fresh fecal in to be run for parasites.

◦ History - I know no information expect from I got her from petco or petsmart
(Sorry about grammer)

Cage- screen

◦ Lighting -heatlamp and uv bulb heat light from exo terrain daytime heatlamp. Please post a picture of your lighting? IF the uvb is a screw in bulb then it is not the correct lighting. What schedule are you running for lighting? It should be 12 hours on and 12 hours off.

◦ Temperature - baking-80-90 bottom 75-80 (guess) 90 is too hot for basking for a female it should be no hotter then 85 at basking? What do you mean a guess? Do you have a heat gun to test temps or any temp probes?

◦ Plants --no regular fake plants she would benefit greatly from live plants...

◦ Placement - on the floor of my room it is near a fan that is sometimes on. also by a window She should not be on the floor. Her cage should be elevated so she is sitting higher then you when your standing. Being on the floor is unnatural for them since they are arboreal animals.

Current Problem - some type of illness that I'm unaware of and I want her to live her best life I don't see anything specific in the picture but there are multiple husbandry issues that need your attention to ensure she is a healthy girl.

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

In addition, aside from high fat content, superworms are LOADED with phosphorus and are low in calcium, which can/will throw off their calcium to phosphorus ratio if you feed them regularly. They are also addicting to chameleons and some will refuse to eat anything else. If I could start over again with my chameleon I would have never given him superworms.. some use them as a treat but I think hornworms or butterworms are a safer snack -- just my opinion.

You said..."every night I spray her mouth as a source for water".... I hope you don't spray into her mouth...you could put water into her lungs doing that. You should mist the leaves in the cage and let her lick it up or run a dripper so that water drips onto a leaf and she can lick that up.

Is the problem under just the one arm? Are talking about those little black dots?

You said..."every night I spray her mouth as a source for water".... I hope you don't spray into her mouth...you could put water into her lungs doing that. You should mist the leaves in the cage and let her lick it up or run a dripper so that water drips onto a leaf and she can lick that up.

Is the problem under just the one arm? Are talking about those little black dots?
I found a small dripper and offering her that now instead if the other method I will have to check but u think they are gone 1 second

Do you mean you're using a dripper now or an eye/medicine dropper?
How's she behaving now?
Has whatever is in the armpit area that you were concerned about grown or changed?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom