illness help

got humidity meter today can't get the cage until next week monday im going to try to buy a light system with a auto temp shut off and timer. trying to get my friends digital camera to take picture of wart . humidity is now 74 percent is that ok ?

I would'nt worry so much about the humidity for a Veild.....In their natural enviroment humidity levels raise and lower frequently

i have kept chameleons and many other reptiles in glass cages over the 25+ years that i have been keeping reptiles. I live in canada too and the closest i have come to using screened cages is cages that are glass on three sides (and the bottom) with a screen lid and door...and i am now moving away from them again.

Both glass and screen have advantages and disadvantages. I have no objection to people using either...but i do get annoyed when people say "get rid of that glass tank....you can't keep chameleons in glass cages".

Screen cages in a cold and dry environment means that the humidity is lower than i would like and that the chameleon spends a lot of its time sitting near the basking light to keep warm enough.

With glass cages you do have to be careful to set the lights up properly to provide airflow and you need to make sure that no water lays stagnant on the floor of the cage. Drilling a hole in the floor of the cage solves the stagnant water problem and placing the basking light on one corner (over actually) solves the airflow problem. The temperature in the summertime needs to be watched to make sure that the basking lights are turned off when it climbs too high.

As for the "wart"...a picture would be useful. There are too many possibilities to guess.
thanks kinyonga so many have been programed that glass is bad but as you have proved it can be done correctly if you live in a colder area.many canadians keep chameleons this way.so guys read kinyonga's post then .........go a head and read it again

Most feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorous so its important that you dust them at most feedings with a pho.-free calcium powder to help make up for it.

I only dust twice a month with a vitamin powder with a beta carotene source of vitamin A. Beta carotene won't cause an overdose like preformed Vitamin A will. Excess preformed vitamin A can prevent the D3 from doing its job and lead to MBD. Its not proven yet whether chameleons can convert beta carotene so if needed a little preformed can be given once in a while.

I also dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder. D3 from supplements can also build up in the system so don't overdo it. D3 from the UVB light (that doesn't pass through glass or plastic) allows the chameleon to produce D3 so that it can use the calcium in its system.

Appropriate temperatures aid in digestion and thus play a part in nutrient absorption.

Gutloading/feeding your insects a nutritious diet is important too.

For good bone health, vitamin A, D3, calcium and phos. need to be in balance.

I doubt that any or all of the above information has anything to do with the "wart". The "wart" could be any number of things. I would advise that you take it to a vet to find out.

Hello

Where in Nova Scotia are you? I only ask because I used to live in Halifax. Coming back for a visit in August.

Anyhow, you've received some good advice. Including that to seek the input of a vet.

In the meantime, if possible, could you post a close-up picture of the "wart" ? or at least describe in great detail? There are so many possibilities! Could be a scab from a bite or injury; a burn; acumulated piece of unshed skin; parasite issue; pox; ...

i live about 150 km from halifax the wart is grey and come to almost a point
i 'm still wait for the digital camera to get a photo

Describe "Wart"

You've gotten good advise. Since you don't have a camera can you describe the wart? What color, what dimension, is it a bump under normal skin or a bump above the skin?

I did a search for vets that will take exotics in your area. I found this dartmouthvet
Im not sure if this is in your area or if they will indeed take chameleons, but if its around you try giving them a call and see if they will.

it looks like its on the top of the skin about 1/4'' at base 1/8'' high grey in color like a spir on the hip

yeah thats a bit a ways from you. what part of nova scotia are you in, sorry if i missed it.

Back
Top Bottom