Ikea Build. Need some suggestions

WuTangCham

Hey guys, I am building a custom cage from an Ikea Fabrikor cabinet for the first time. This will be my first time owning a chameleon, so I do want to make sure the guy is comfy and happy in there. I am an avid nano tank builder, and have kept a Chinese water dragon before a few years prior. The cabinet is a little on the smaller side to start, but I am hoping to bring branches out from the main display as the little guy grows. Note: I do not have the chameleon yet, and am taking the time to make this build beautiful and perfect before he arrives! Any insight would be great. Looking to get a Mistking, but was wondering if I could do a drip system or homemade misting system from aquarium tubing instead? Any suggestions on live plants for this bad boy? Any successful use on shower tile for floor bottom? Hoping the two sides screen and a top screen with a possible small fan will be enough ventilation for him.

Its not "a little on the small size to start" its completely inadequate.

That thing barely reaches the minimum size for a newborn, and would need to be moved out by 3 months. In no way is that going to be suitable for any larger cham species.

Assuming thats a shorter version of this, FABRIKÖR

How do you plan to vent this? This thing has no venting, thats also not going to work, even as a baby cage.

Last edited:
Its not "a little on the small size to start" its completely inadequate.

That thing barely reaches the minimum size for a newborn, and would need to be moved out by 3 months. In no way is that going to be suitable for any larger cham species.

It's 40" tall, 48" is what I believe I read to be an appropriate size for an adult male...

It is 30" wide, so wider than the typical 24" specified. And it is 16" deep, hence why I wanted to bring out the branches with the doors open once mature...

It's 40" tall, 48" is what I believe I read to be an appropriate size for an adult male...

It is 30" wide, so wider than the typical 24" specified. And it is 16" deep, hence why I wanted to bring out the branches with the doors open once mature...

OHHH, okay, my bad should have asked first. I looked up the Ikea "fabirakator" and the link gave me a 17"x14"x6' (with big legs) and with the picture of the plant it looked to be the same.

30x16x40 is fine. You are still going to have to add venting though, how do you plan to do that? This also needs raised, the basking branch needs to be eye level, you shouldnt have this sit on the floor like that.

Do you have a link to these cabinets? I been looking for something in that size range that I can make a few of.

OHHH, okay, my bad should have asked first. I looked up the Ikea "fabirakator" and the link gave me a 17"x14"x6' (with big legs) and with the picture of the plant it looked to be the same.

30x16x40 is fine. You are still going to have to add venting though, how do you plan to do that? This also needs raised, the basking branch needs to be eye level, you shouldnt have this sit on the floor like that.

All good! So the plants in that are not the final. Just pics for me to look at the contrast with background and such. I did exchange the side glass and top glass for screen that I custom made. Was thinking of adding a small fan to increase airflow from the top. The basking branch, large wood one, hopefully doesn't sit too close to the top, but can add more branches as I finalize plant options.

All good! So the plants in that are not the final. Just pics for me to look at the contrast with background and such. I did exchange the side glass and top glass for screen that I custom made. Was thinking of adding a small fan to increase airflow from the top. The basking branch, large wood one, hopefully doesn't sit too close to the top, but can add more branches as I finalize plant options.

One side screen will do you fine. Great ideas and great build :).

@cyberlocc would you suggest on a Mistking? Or could a drip system for hydration and a fogger for humidity help in that sense?

So I am personally in the MistKing + Fogger Camp, and am not a fan of drippers.

However, there is alot of respected folks behind that Fogger and Dripper only methodology. I feel either will work, which is better for the long term health of the Cham, the jury is still out.

Whichever system works for you, will likely work fine.

I don't know if I'm ready for bioactive soil and such just yet, but that does look fantastic

Yes you ARE. You just have to remember!

tenor.gif

@WuTangCham said "would you suggest on a Mistking? Or could a drip system for hydration and a fogger for humidity help in that sense?"...whether you use a mister or a fogged IMHO a dripper is always useful too. I've used them for years.

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

BTW I've kept water dragons too...I loved them. They had a lot of personality!

@WuTangCham said "would you suggest on a Mistking? Or could a drip system for hydration and a fogger for humidity help in that sense?"...whether you use a mister or a fogged IMHO a dripper is always useful too. I've used them for years.

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

BTW I've kept water dragons too...I loved them. They had a lot of personality!

Thank you!

Thanks for that, with that being said, I might be researching a bit more on that and going for a change in direction to bio. First time Cham guy here just need the confidence to get it going

I highly recommend looking into bioactive! It's not nearly as difficult as it can sound. Lots of experienced folks here if you have questions! I have two bioactive enclosures myself (1 screen, 1 glass), and while I'd never call myself an expert I'm always happy to help where i can!

The Reptile and Amphibian Bioactive Setup (RABS) group on FB is a great place to start, for those curious! Lots of inspiration, too. :)

Do you have a link to these cabinets? I been looking for something in that size range that I can make a few of.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fabrikoer-glass-door-cabinet-dark-gray-00242278/

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/fabrikoer-glass-door-cabinet-gray-60363173/

Here's the links. I originally saw the vertical one done into a Cham habitat here but thought the two door would look sweet https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/pin/338966309450433724/

Back
Top Bottom