If anyone knows anything please help! Chameleon is acting sick!

Monkeyrevo

Binks is a 4 1/2 year old veiled chameleon. He has had what I think was a respiratory infection which I have tried to treat with some antibiotics. However today he will not eat and keeps closing one or both eyes. Sometimes he even rubs his eyes against this branches in the enclosure etc.
if anyone knows what may be going on please let me know.

Attachments

• E5EC9DD0-0C04-4EA7-B232-1FDA6CB47603.jpeg
    E5EC9DD0-0C04-4EA7-B232-1FDA6CB47603.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 62
Has anything changed in his cage? Surroundings?
What antibiotic did you have him on? Did you see a vet to get the antibiotics? If not, how did you happen to be able to give him antibiotics? How did you know the dose?
Did you keep him well hydrated while on the antibiotics?
What made you think he had a respiratory infection in the first place?

I haven’t changed anything in his cage. I was going to do some cleaning in it today but I didn’t want to further stress him. I did bring him to a vet and they gave me enrofloxacin solution. I determined that he had the respiratory problem after doing some research on a coughing like action he was doing. That was initially why I went to the vet. Let me know if you need any more info etc.
Thank you so much

Did the vet agree that it was a respiratory infection?
How was he behaving hat made it look like a respiratory infection? Lots of stringy saliva? Gaping sometimes, maybe nose raised in the air a bit? Wheezing?

What do you mean by coughing?

I saw him holding his mouth open one time. The vet looked into his mouth and there was some mucus but I don’t remember it being stringy specifically. The main thing was that sometimes in the morning he has coughed. In my research I read that chameleons do not cough but that is the best way I could describe what he was doing.

I have not changed anything. I feed him crickets and I feed them the Flukers Farms food and water. I haven’t given him the antibiotic in a couple days either as I finished the prescription.

Sorry for all the questions....just trying to figure out what's going on.

I've never heard a chameleon cough but they can make some odd sounds hat might sound sort of like a cough.

Opening the mouth once normally wouldn't be enough to indicate a respiratory infection IMHO.

How long have you had him?

No need to apologize. I appreciate you so much.
The cough was like a short hiss but he didn’t open his mouth and he like quickly puffed out his little beard thing. Sorry don’t know what it’s called. All I know is that it wasn’t a hiss.
It’s possible he’s done more that I just haven’t seen in terms of opening his mouth.
I believe I got him as a juvenile in April of 2017.

Back
Top Bottom