Ideas, Tips, and Tricks for a glass enclosure :)

Hello, my friends!

I appreciate the consistent help I have received through utilizing these forums.

My girlfriend and I have recently purchased a 48x48x24 (4ft high, 2ft wide, 4ft long) Atasuki glass enclosure to give our boy a big-boy cage. We ultimately decided on a glass enclosure as I live in Eastern Canada, allowing more leeway regarding humidity control. We are theorizing how we want to take on this endeavour, so I would appreciate hearing any ideas, tips, or tricks regarding the construction of the cage. His current cage is mesh, which is why I have numerous questions regarding the glass cage.

Our current ideas that I would like to share for feedback:
1. We have discussed creating a wooden frame and stapling mesh on it to replace one of the side panels to allow for better ventilation due to the risk of URIs.

2. After finding out the glass is tempered, we have decided to create a false floor with light dimmers and tile to allow for manual drainage via an air-tight line.

I'm not completely sure how we would go about attaching the branches and plants to the glass, perhaps by using glue or silicon?

If you have any tips, tricks, or ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much :)

I’m only experienced with screen enclosures, but have a couple of ideas to offer regarding attaching branches. You can get some ceiling panel eggcrate panels and attach those to the glass. You could use the same and create faux backgrounds with expanding spray foam like Great Stuff and finish with silicone and coco coir. Or you could skip the eggcrate and spray foam directly on the glass. Garden trellis is another that may work.
Are there any ventilation holes in the lower part of the enclosure? If not, it would be a good idea to have some professionally drilled so that you have the chimney effect ventilation. For further ventilation, some have placed small muffin fans on the top screen to draw air up and out and keep it moving.

I’m only experienced with screen enclosures, but have a couple of ideas to offer regarding attaching branches. You can get some ceiling panel eggcrate panels and attach those to the glass. You could use the same and create faux backgrounds with expanding spray foam like Great Stuff and finish with silicone and coco coir. Or you could skip the eggcrate and spray foam directly on the glass. Garden trellis is another that may work.
Are there any ventilation holes in the lower part of the enclosure? If not, it would be a good idea to have some professionally drilled so that you have the chimney effect ventilation. For further ventilation, some have placed small muffin fans on the top screen to draw air up and out and keep it moving.
There is a small ventilation area throughout the bottom of the enclosure. I will attach a picture (it is the slim gray area between the two black PVC structures). Sadly, the glass is tempered; therefore, it cannot be drilled without smashing into a million pieces.

I haven't considered using egg-crate panels to attach the branches. However, I don't think I will make a faux background. My primary idea was to utilize glue or silicon to attach wooden dowels or skinny planks to act as an attachment point for the branches and the DIY-mesh wall as another optional attachment point for branches.

My local pet store employee mentioned using small computer fans on the top of the screen, so thank you for reminding me about that!

Attachments

• chameleonforums.jpg
    chameleonforums.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 54
Ok, so that does have what appears to be adequate ventilation. Pardon my ignorance about types of glass…I have no clue. :oops: For how to hang branches, I guess it all depends on what aesthetic you are going for. You could secure a scaffold - type pattern of branches to the glass to attach vines and branches to. Hopefully someone who actually has experience with setting up glass enclosures will show up and offer inspiration. In the meantime, you could always do a search for one of the many enclosure build threads to see what others have done.:)

The key to using glass is ventilation. If done correctly, I think it's actually better than wire mesh if the enclosure is big enough. You need to keep the air moving and exchange the air using fans.

For attaching branches, try closet pole holders

Ok, so that does have what appears to be adequate ventilation. Pardon my ignorance about types of glass…I have no clue. :oops: For how to hang branches, I guess it all depends on what aesthetic you are going for. You could secure a scaffold - type pattern of branches to the glass to attach vines and branches to. Hopefully someone who actually has experience with setting up glass enclosures will show up and offer inspiration. In the meantime, you could always do a search for one of the many enclosure build threads to see what others have done.:)
Thanks for the information! I wasn't sure whether that slight trim of mesh plus the ceiling would be adequate for ventilation.
The key to using glass is ventilation. If done correctly, I think it's actually better than wire mesh if the enclosure is big enough. You need to keep the air moving and exchange the air using fans.

For attaching branches, try closet pole holders
Closet pole holders? Are you referring to the rod supports that need to be screwed in, or the ones that have adjustable sizes? I'd be afraid he would attempt to climb them.
This member did a lot of work on this subject you may want to read his posts. Here is one to get you started.

Advise needed on using a fan in enclosure

and other threads by broderp&c[users]=broderp&o=relevance
After viewing that thread, it is difficult to see how the branches are attached to the glass. Does it look as if it is just a type of gorilla glue? My skepticism has risen from the fact that I will need to add branches that can support a pathos plant hanging from the side of the enclosure. Will silicon or a type of epoxy or glue allow a pathos plant to be structurally sound?

Yesterday I moved my room around to allow enough room for me to put together the new tank. After I leave work in a few hours I will be picking up some plywood to (1) make the frame for the side of the enclosure which I will be making out of mesh and (2) make some DIY dragon-strand ledges for the sides of the enclosure to attach the branches and plants.

Referring to my earlier mentions of creating a false floor, I picked up some light diffuser egg crate and tile from my local home depot. I will be making the floor a few inches high to allow water to seep through and siphon out through the side of the cage that I will be turning to mesh. My plan is to drill a hole in the bottom of the plywood frame, slightly below the false floor. I will then attach an air-tight line to the hole, allowing the water underneath the false floor to be siphoned out. This is the best idea I can come up with, with respect to drainage as the bottom piece of the tank has a 3-inch rim of glass around it. I understand that this may be difficult to visualize, therefore I will post a picture of it once I am home from work.

If anyone has any ideas or sees issues in my current plans please let me know!

Thanks

Mine have no problem holding a few 6 inch pots, but the top is made from 1/2 inch PVC Hardware Cloth
I spent the majority of yesterday attempting to make some DIY dragon-strand ledges to hold up the plants. I used gorilla glue to attempt to get the wood to stay in place, however once I tied a pathos plant to it, it began sliding. Therefore, I think I will try hanging them from the top of the enclosure as you suggested.
You can use polyurethane foam(great stuff) to mount branches of the glass
Silicon would do the trick as well, yes?

I spent the majority of yesterday attempting to make some DIY dragon-strand ledges to hold up the plants. I used gorilla glue to attempt to get the wood to stay in place, however once I tied a pathos plant to it, it began sliding. Therefore, I think I will try hanging them from the top of the enclosure as you suggested.

Silicon would do the trick as well, yes?
Yes, It works for the light branches, just make sure u are using silicons without mildew resistance and mold inhibitors.

Hello, my friends!

I appreciate the consistent help I have received through utilizing these forums.

My girlfriend and I have recently purchased a 48x48x24 (4ft high, 2ft wide, 4ft long) Atasuki glass enclosure to give our boy a big-boy cage. We ultimately decided on a glass enclosure as I live in Eastern Canada, allowing more leeway regarding humidity control. We are theorizing how we want to take on this endeavour, so I would appreciate hearing any ideas, tips, or tricks regarding the construction of the cage. His current cage is mesh, which is why I have numerous questions regarding the glass cage.

Our current ideas that I would like to share for feedback:
1. We have discussed creating a wooden frame and stapling mesh on it to replace one of the side panels to allow for better ventilation due to the risk of URIs.

2. After finding out the glass is tempered, we have decided to create a false floor with light dimmers and tile to allow for manual drainage via an air-tight line.

I'm not completely sure how we would go about attaching the branches and plants to the glass, perhaps by using glue or silicon?

If you have any tips, tricks, or ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much :)
Hello,
I just stumbled in this post looking for some inspiration for my glass enclosure. Would you share some photos and an explanation of the branch and drainage system you ended with please?
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom