Ideas as to where to put my quad eggs

Chase

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello all,
Well I have about two and half weeks until my female will be laying laying her eggs and I am having a very hard time finding an area that is a constant 69 degrees. If anyone can give me ideas, or suggestions, I would be very grateful.

LPR08

Florida in late spring/early summer? I'd invest in one of the Think Geek or LLL mini fridges for those eggs. Keeping them under 74F is the most important thing. The temps don't need to remain constant for successful hatching.

Florida in late spring/early summer? I'd invest in one of the Think Geek or LLL mini fridges for those eggs. Keeping them under 74F is the most important thing. The temps don't need to remain constant for successful hatching.

Well my Verrucosus eggs are in a closet, and are 74 in the day, and 72 at night. I've read that having quad eggs over 70 is really bad and can kill them. I am going to research some DIY incubators, to see if I can find one that keeps cooler temps.

LPR08

Well my Verrucosus eggs are in a closet, and are 74 in the day, and 72 at night. I've read that having quad eggs over 70 is really bad and can kill them. I am going to research some DIY incubators, to see if I can find one that keeps cooler temps.

LPR08

Those closet temps should be ok although with technology now I'd keep mine at 71-72F. I've had full clutches of quads hatch after experiencing temps up to 74F. I've had almost full clutches hatch after experiencing temps up to 76F but a few of the neos had birth defects.

Yes, I invested in one of the LLL mini-fridge thingies in anticipation of the latest melleri eggs in order to keep them at a constant temp because they need to be on the cooler side as well (around 70 degree, give or take a couple). I kept them in the closet downstairs that last time and that was good but I wanted to try something different this time. My verru eggs I kept a little cooler like that for a long time and they are just now coming due to hatch and I have moved them upstairs (pantry) but it's not that much different (although I had a couple days where it got up to about 76).

Maybe you should get one of those and split the clutch up = half in the mini-fridge and half in the closet. (?)

I thought of purchasing the fridge, but since I only have one female currently, so it holding 10-13 eggs or less isn't worth the money to hold it for 4 months. Possibly when I have more females, I may purchase one because it will hold more eggs.

@Kent- what were the hatch time(s) of the clutch(es) that were around 72?

LPR08

I thought of purchasing the fridge, but since I only have one female currently, so it holding 10-13 eggs or less isn't worth the money to hold it for 4 months. Possibly when I have more females, I may purchase one because it will hold more eggs.

LPR08

I went ahead and purchased one back in October, even if it was for just a couple of eggs. I figured my uroplatus eggs were precious enough to warrant it. :D Now I'm trying it with a host of other eggs that I want to keep at a constant temp.

Incidentally, the verru eggs are still looking great. Hoping to have them hatch any time now (but because I'm watching them and paying attention, they won't....:rolleyes:). AND even though I'm supposed to be downsizing (rrriiiiggghhhttt....;)), I picked up 3 new verrus. One male I'm guessing about 6-7 months old and a pair that were both about 3-4 months old. :D I liked working with them so much, I just couldn't resist. :p

I've had 3 clutches of quads and they were all right around 4.5 months.

Ok. Thank you. I think I found the spot for them.

I went ahead and purchased one back in October, even if it was for just a couple of eggs. I figured my uroplatus eggs were precious enough to warrant it. :D Now I'm trying it with a host of other eggs that I want to keep at a constant temp.

Incidentally, the verru eggs are still looking great. Hoping to have them hatch any time now (but because I'm watching them and paying attention, they won't....:rolleyes:). AND even though I'm supposed to be downsizing (rrriiiiggghhhttt....;)), I picked up 3 new verrus. One male I'm guessing about 6-7 months old and a pair that were both about 3-4 months old. :D I liked working with them so much, I just couldn't resist. :p

I love the verrucosus as well. Unfortunately, I got rid of them for my quads, but I will keep on male verrucosus from my clutch. Mine have been incubating for almost 2 months an look great

LPR08

I say get the fridge also. Being able to keep the temps right for even 10 eggs of a species that isnt bred in high numbers would be worth it to me;) You sell one of those quads and you have your money back and more for the fridge!!

I say get the fridge also. Being able to keep the temps right for even 10 eggs of a species that isnt bred in high numbers would be worth it to me;) You sell one of those quads and you have your money back and more for the fridge!!

I didn't think of it like that. But, I was planning on keeping one female for my lone male, and geting another female to have 2.3, but I have to get this fridge thing because I can't find a place in my house that cool, so it looks like I am gonna be purchasing this thing. One thing I remembered, is that since they grow on the slow side, I won't be wasting money on crickets all of the time, because the crickets will get too big for the neonates. So, I figured if I purchase cheaper mantis ooths, and fruit fly cultures, I will be able to have a good amount of smaller food.

LPR08

Back
Top Bottom