Idea on locale for this guy?

paulexp

Hi,
I need some help from the board memebers. would you guys say this panther is a Sambava? I have been told he is but he doesnt have the colors of one? What do you guys think?

Attachments

• sam.jpg
    sam.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 140
  • sam2.jpg
    sam2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 130
  • sam3.jpg
    sam3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 134
  • sam4.jpg
    sam4.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 174
  • sam5.jpg
    sam5.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 117
He could be, but it can be difficult to tell when they are young. Sambavas tend to color up later than other chameleons and some won't get their full/true colors until they are almost 2 years old. Some will have blue bars until then as well. If you bought from a reputable breeder, I wouldn't worry too much.

He looks thin. How much do you feed him?

Thanks for the reply. He is thin, very thin I think. I went to go see him and he does need to be better take care of. I have room for 1 more cham and I really want another Sambava or else I would take him right way. he bought it direct from a breeder/wholesaler when he worked at the pet store. He said he has had him for already 1 year. Also, he won't sell him cheap or else I would take him in and take care of him and find him a better home when he would be better. :(

That's really unfortunate. I'm sorry that you are put in that position. I personally wouldn't buy him in that condition unless the price was dropped pretty low.

He is most certainly not a Sambava. He looks most certainly to be a hybrid. Maybe even with some Faly in him. The extensive reddish in the dorsal spine area lends itself to Ambilobe, although he has more than a typical Ambilobe. The red rain would lean towards being a touch of Faly. The bluish bars specifically like yours are typical of Faly-Ambanja or Faly-Ambilobe crosses, where the Faly influence usually makes the bars wider and bluer than with typical Ambilobes or Ambanjas. What I do not see is one indicator of Sambava blood.

But all that I can guarantee is that it is not Sambava, and not pedigree.

Ok thanks guys. I text to see if he was still for sale because i was going to take him in and try to find him a better home but he was sold already. Lets hope he went to a better home.....

He is most certainly not a Sambava. He looks most certainly to be a hybrid. Maybe even with some Faly in him. The extensive reddish in the dorsal spine area lends itself to Ambilobe, although he has more than a typical Ambilobe. The red rain would lean towards being a touch of Faly. The bluish bars specifically like yours are typical of Faly-Ambanja or Faly-Ambilobe crosses, where the Faly influence usually makes the bars wider and bluer than with typical Ambilobes or Ambanjas. What I do not see is one indicator of Sambava blood.

But all that I can guarantee is that it is not Sambava, and not pedigree.

What makes you say that? I had a pure sambava male that started off looking rather similar and turned out looking 100% sambava, and from a reputable breeder. I can't remember what his dorsal spines looked like, but he had blue bars for a good 6 months (which is not unheard of in the locale.) I would post pics but my phone was stolen and it's the only place I had pics of him.

Back
Top Bottom