idea for a treeless screen cage need advice

alil

Hello, Its been a while since I have posted. Here lately I have been looking to replace my dying trees for my Jackson and veiled chams. While at work I thought of an idea for a treeless style of cage. I am posting to see if its going to give them health issues and advice for anything im missing. Also I know that live trees are best for them but Its hard enough to find a tree in my area that I feel is good enough for them. My idea is to get wood sticks from a craft store and cut them to length and secure them in place. The very top is for hanging various fake leaf strands for places to hide and to hold humidity and moisture. Below that level is various angles and height of sticks as his branches with vines to give him even more places. And below that is a layer of eco earth to hold moisture and any water drips. Below the eco earth is a disposable absorbent bed liner or pet training pad for ease of substrate removal since the bottom of my cage opens for that purpose. Sorry I Don't have any drawings or pictures to upload. I am hoping for some feedback before I start working on this and I am hoping a setup like this would work.

I got rid of my live trees a long time ago for various different reasons. I know I don't have the best lighting conditions in my cage for proper tree growth so like you, I kept killing all my trees. The primary reason I got rid of the tree in the cage was the smell. I live in a little apartment, so every little smell in my apartment pretty much gets enhanced by a million. Needless to say (and this coming from a neat freak too), I would never invite friends over to hang out for the longest time. Now, getting to my point, I actually saw the health of my Jackson Chameleon actually improve dramatically once I removed all the live plants in his cage. I noticed that the mist from the mister flowed more freely, the cage became more open for climbing, and he started moving around like he was a little juvenile again. I've tried this concept with the rest of my chameleons and have had really good success. The best part of getting rid of all the live plants is now my cages look a whole lot less tacky. I'll post a picture here shortly to show you what I've done.

With all this being said, if I had better conditions to work with, the live plants would come back in a heartbeat. There's a guy here that made an In-Wall habitat. That's a future goal of mine too. I think his project turned out great. I can't wait to do that inside one of my rooms.

thank you for the response. I am happy to hear that I am not the only one who thinks the tree looks tacky. I will probably get this project Thursday. Thank you for the feedback

I set up his new cage and he actually seems healthier and more active. He looks a little bit bigger and more stretched out. I think he seems happier this way. Just a little update. Now I need to figure out how to do that to my veiled. He is WAY more territorial about his cage. I can get him to eat out of a cup im holding and eat out of my hand but when it comes to HIS place he will hiss and sway at me.

Back
Top Bottom