ID this catapillar?

Brodybreaux25

Chameleon Enthusiast
IMG_2655.JPG
IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2659.JPG
Can any one identify this catapillar? I think it is a cabbage worm.

I live in south east Louisiana and all of my broccoli plants have been invaded with 100s of these things. They are chewing holes in all my leaves and broccoli heads. Needless to say they have to go, the question is how will I do it? I use no pesticides and if they are non-toxic I think my chams would have a blast if I turned them loose to hunt a few down here and there....

Attachments

• IMG_2256.JPG
    IMG_2256.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 99
They are likely cabbage worms or another type of looper. They would be the most likely species of that color and shape to be interested in something like broccoli since it is in the cabbage family ^^ Cabbage worms are safe to feed, just in low numbers because broccoli and other types of cabbage related plants can bind calcium in large amounts

That's what I was thinking too, I definitely recognize those butterflies. Since we all agree that it is likely a cabbage worm I feel comfortable with turning my chams loose to pick one or two off here and there. These guys have ruined a few of my plants so i might as well get something out of them.

Andee- what do you consider "low numbers?" They are currently about 3/8" but looks like they grow to be about 2.5".
I'm thinking 1-2 every 3-4 days or maybe per week? Either way I'll defanitly start things off slowly at first.

I also found about a billion eggs, think It would be worth it to raise them for sale or trade?

I would love some loopers you have no idea. If you would be willing to sell or trade for other feeders we can work something out. As far as raising them they do eat other things than cabbage, I think they need to lay on brassicae family plants though. I know they kale and I think mustard greens? You could likely feed more than that many 1-2 every feeding would be fine as long as you feed your Chan's some other calcium loaded insects and some dusted with calcium etc. 1-2 of that size wouldn't be large enough to bind calcium.

I have been pretty desperately trying to figure out on how to get my hands in some loopers. The issue is, I don't raise much of anything they would be attracted to to find their eggs.

You think they could be raised on broccoli floret stalks from the grocery store? Not much by way of leaves on those but add in kale and maybe doable?

They look like Evergestis rimosalis, the cross striped cabbageworm. Common throughout the southeastern US and they should gut load just fine on kale and collards.

Technically yes, but you don't want to do just those leaves if you can help it. Both kale and collards have high oxylates if fed too much. Certain types of kale are less of a problem, dino and Tuscan are the best.

You think they could be raised on broccoli floret stalks from the grocery store? Not much by way of leaves on those but add in kale and maybe doable?
I'm actually finding more of them in the center of the plant where all the new growth stalk and heads are. I don't see why you couldn't pull that off but I'm no expert...

I have been pretty desperately trying to figure out on how to get my hands in some loopers. The issue is, I don't raise much of anything they would be attracted to to find their eggs.
How many would you need to get your own colony going? Would you need them in worm or egg stage?

Either worm or egg form works honestly. And as for a colony I think maybe like 25-40 would work? Whatever you can spare?

Either worm or egg form works honestly. And as for a colony I think maybe like 25-40 would work? Whatever you can spare?
I joined this site in March and I notice you were one of the few people that frequently reply to my questions. I have a four day weekend coming up and will collect as many as I can then. If I get enough to make it happen I will definitely be taking care of you. I try to take care of those who take care of me.

Instead of money do you have any thing to trade?

Depends on what you want. I will likely have at least 25 silkworms to trade I also have some stick insects to trade. Have dubia, isopods... no super worms yet sadly, still waiting for my first batch of beetles to emerge though all the ones I put into pupate are already in the white stage

IMG_2676.JPG
Depends on what you want. I will likely have at least 25 silkworms to trade I also have some stick insects to trade. Have dubia, isopods... no super worms yet sadly, still waiting for my first batch of beetles to emerge though all the ones I put into pupate are already in the white stage
I've never fed them any stick bugs, that would be cool, I'm sure we can work something out. We just went walk through my broccoli patch and we have way more than I though. Got about a dozen plants, at least 10 leaves per plant, most of the leaves are like this

IMG_2708.PNG
I've also found a hand full of these cocoons, they are tiny. I don't think these are cabbage worms as well, any ideas on what they may be?

Keep a few of those cocoons. That's the best way to ID them. My money is still on E rimosalis. I'm pretty sure it's a small moth.

Back
Top Bottom