id the cham please

melonman

can you guys id it for me i know its jackson but what subspieces

Attachments

• 08ac8473-3014-4a08-97a8-5d8519f5c2b2-500.jpg
    08ac8473-3014-4a08-97a8-5d8519f5c2b2-500.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 132
The Latin name is Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii. I don't know what you guys mean with Mt K jacksonii jacksonii, maybe just a common name? However, I found that Mount Kenya Three-horned Chameleon is the common name for T. jacksonii xantholophus...

T. jacksonii xantholophus is found on the eastern and southern slopes of Mt. Kenya. T. jacksonii jacksonii is widespread in the highland areas of Kenya, to the south of Mt. Kenya. There's a small area of integrade between the two subspecies on the southern slopes of Mt. Kenya. I've seen "Mt. Kenya Jackson's" used as a common name to refer to T. jacksonii jacksonii here and there over the last few years and my best guess is that it stems from a misunderstanding of the natural range of the subspecies (no idea where it started though). T. jacksonii xantholophus should reasonably be called the "Mt. Kenya Jackson's" if we are calling either of them that, since it is by far the dominant subspecies on Mt. Kenya, and that is the only region that this subspecies is found (not counting feral populations in HI, CA, FL). T. jacksonii jacksonii just reaches the southern slopes of Mt. Kenya but is abundant elsehwere to the south (e.g., down toward Nairobi). Not sure what a common name for the nominate subspecies should be, but "Mt. Kenya Jackson's" doesn't make much sense methinks ;)

cj

Back
Top Bottom