i would love a chameleon but i need some advice!

kenzxo

hello, i recently came across this forum while doing research on chameleons and thought i’d ask some questions since everyone on here is so helpful!

so first i have never owned a reptile before and i know chameleons are for more experienced owners but i’m very interested and am responsible so nothing bad would happen (i’m thinking about getting a young panther male cham) but i was just wondering if it’s going to be a little overwhelming, with all the care requirements and all since i’m quite new to this, does anyone have any advice on this?

second i live somewhere where it can get pretty cold in the winter and my room doesn’t have the best heat circulation so i use a space heater and i was thinking for my chameleon i’d get a ceramic heat bulb maybe just to be safe for night time?

and third i also have a guinea pig (who’d be in the same room as the cham) and he can get a little loud at times just with his squeaking and chewing on toys (he’s mostly pretty quiet and chill) and i was wondering if that would affect the chameleon in anyway?

and lastly i have a day job and i was wondering what would be best to keep him healthy, a dripper and a mister or a humidifier or just mist the cage by had before and after i get home? and also feed him in the morning before i leave as well? and i believe i’d go with a 7:30am to 7:30pm light schedule as well if that helps at all

thank you for any help or advice given :)

The biggest problem with keeping a chameleon is to get the husbandry right and I would advise that you get a male (which you've already mentioned getting) for the first time so you don't have to deal with eggs.

There is quite a bit of "equipment" (cage, lights, plants, supplements, etc.) that you will need so it's not cheap to own one.

I live in southern Ontario Canada...is where younlive colder? (I've kept chameleons for over 30 years.) How low are your night time temperatures?

As for the Guinea pig...the noise won't bother the chameleon since they have relatively poor hearing. Seeing it might bother the chameleon though.

The day job shouldn't interfere. If the lights go on before you go to work you can mist then and again when you come home and set up a dripper to run during the day too or better still get an automatic misting system.
Feeding him in the morning would be good too.

There are care sheets on this site and lots of other information to read and good people to answer any questions you have. Just ask...you'll get an answer if we can give one!

The biggest problem with keeping a chameleon is to get the husbandry right and I would advise that you get a male (which you've already mentioned getting) for the first time so you don't have to deal with eggs.

There is quite a bit of "equipment" (cage, lights, plants, supplements, etc.) that you will need so it's not cheap to own one.

I live in southern Ontario Canada...is where younlive colder? (I've kept chameleons for over 30 years.) How low are your night time temperatures?

As for the Guinea pig...the noise won't bother the chameleon since they have relatively poor hearing. Seeing it might bother the chameleon though.

The day job shouldn't interfere. If the lights go on before you go to work you can mist then and again when you come home and set up a dripper to run during the day too or better still get an automatic misting system.
Feeding him in the morning would be good too.

There are care sheets on this site and lots of other information to read and good people to answer any questions you have. Just ask...you'll get an answer if we can give one!
thank you this was extremely helpful! i also live in canada, but i live in northern alberta so i would assume it’s about the same temperatures there and my night temperatures are possibly around 20 degrees c without the space heater, but nothing as low as 10 degrees c

I'm a relative new chameleon owner. Had my little guy for 2 weeks now. I can tell you that it is a little bit overwhelming at first. But this site is very helpful, especially if you try to make yourself as prepared as possible before getting the chameleon.

I spent almost 3 months getting everything ready for my baby panther. I couldn't be happier with being an new chameleon owner. Looking forward to my little guy's colors coming in.

Back
Top Bottom