I went to PetSmart today

My first veiled was from petSmart and she had MBD when I got her. She was in my care for all of three months before she passed away. I tried my best to give her a happy loving home away from idiots. I wrote an extremely angry letter to PetSmart, called the BBB and even wrote a letter to the sheriff's office, telling them about possible animal abuse issues and now my local PetSmart doesn't carry chameleons anymore.

Evidently, I was not the first or only person to complain, so write letters, call people and send a letter to the BBB. Hopefully you are the final straw on the camel's back and make some changes to the store, too!

thats bull i know exactly how it is, i once caught some lady trying to sell a couple a jacksons chameleon that was not even bigger than 3 inches and she was telling them all sorts of stuff like it will turn blue and red and yellow if you put that color behind them and was trying to tell them they were easy to care for and u didnt need to do anything for them, i strait up walked up to them and told her she was lying and explained to the couple the type of chameleon a jackson was what they did and how hard it really was to care for them. people should only buy them if they know how to care for them i hate going to pet stores because no one knows how to care for them they just think there cute and buy them and put them in a cage, what has the world come to? its horrible.

You know what i would of done if i got a response like "buy it or get out? I would of stayed there and carrried on stressing him out as much as what there stressing out those cham's!! JMO

Just spoke to a Shop Owner today. He is selling snakes, turtles and Chams. He said that 95% of turtles are easy to keep and won't die even in the shop over several months. Snakes survive around 80%. But Chams 50% or less. They all believe that they are very difficult to keep appropriate, especially under commercial pressure. Upon my question why he still sells, he argued, that they only sell because of the high customers' demand. Think about that.

Why would there be high demands for an over priced lizard that will within a week?

Go to a big box petstore and hang around the reptile section. You will be blown away. I followed a group of young men around for nearly an hour, it was hilarious. I also got a contact high from the miasma of herbal smoke that surrounded them

Go to a big box petstore and hang around the reptile section. You will be blown away. I followed a group of young men around for nearly an hour, it was hilarious. I also got a contact high from the miasma of herbal smoke that surrounded them

What?? I don't understand?

I'm not saying large pet store chains are good on how they treat chameleons but the ones by me aren't as bad. I bought my veiled from Petco. He was one of about 10 babies in an half screen half glass cage. It was over 3 feet tall and probably about 2'x2'. He's almost 5 years old now. Babies can be kept together for a little while. My chameleon has lived in a cage similar to the one they have at Petco. He's never had an issue with the glass.

The one I work at had their baby chameleon die today. I'm going to be talking to the manager about the care. I had the pet care manager tell me (for the jackson's before this one that died) that I could have bought him, like it was MY fault he was sick because I didn't buy him. But no way am I going to pay them for an unhealthy chameleon.

The only way to stop these stores is to stop buying animals there... And that won't happen anytime soon. It's most pets.. if we make it sad and cramped people will feel sorry and.buy it and.lots and.lots of big expensive thinfs to make up for it.. works like a damn.charm.

I saw a petsmart cage of Russian tortises.. no water bowl. 12" long 8" deep 8" tall with 5 four and a half in. Tortises.. one had to be on top of the rest.. if i had the cash u bet ur ass I would of supported that travisty by buying one just to make room for the others..

This thread is morbidly old.

What?? I don't understand?

Mostly I meant that it's not responsible experienced keepers who buy animals there, it's parents spoiling their kids or stoned teenagers. They have usually never or rarely even seen reptiles before, but Petco has awesome lizards, so they just hand over a wodge of cash and get everything the staff suggest, or take it home and put it in their old fish tank because that's where lizards live.

Back
Top Bottom