i was told that...

out of all of the pictures I looked at of Bradypodion taeniabronchum It seemed that in every one the chameleon had colors to match the surrounding perfectly. Not saying its true....just saying, we need Chris :p

yeah it sertainly seems that way....amazing ....astonishing isnt it? 7749.jpg

There are many chameleon species which change colors to adapt to their enviroment.
Actually the color of many species refers to the habitat they live in. So it is not specifically that thet change collors to their enviroment but due to evolution they have obtained those colors which make them fit to their enviroment.

Specially Brookesia's, Rhampholeons, Rieppeleons and a big part of the other genuses do so.
As with many chameleon species als many Bradypodion species

Chameleons' mastery of camouflage goes further than anyone expected – it seems they can fine-tune their color changes to the visual systems of specific predators, according to research by Devi Stuart-Fox at the University of Melbourne, Australia based on studies of Smith's dwarf chameleon, which lives in South Africa.

Thats awesome.
I always thought that it was a myth aswell.
But if that cham was on something slightly different colored to the branch would it be able to tweek its color to match it?
What I meen is, is it not possible that when its scared it just goes that color and because its always on a branch it blends it perfectly.

Thats awesome.
I always thought that it was a myth aswell.
But if that cham was on something slightly different colored to the branch would it be able to tweek its color to match it?
What I meen is, is it not possible that when its scared it just goes that color and because its always on a branch it blends it perfectly.

The colors it can produce would depend on the pigments in color bearing cells in the skin layers...I don't think we know how much they can alter the balance of color tones outside of a particular range especially if the color "needed" to match a background wasn't in the normal range of their habitat. When I watch my chams go through their color shifts the same spots on the skin tend to turn the same color. In other words, a stripe always forms in the same area of skin, a black stress spot tends to form in the same place each time, etc. But, I know that deremensis can create these shifting "shadows" of paler color across their body and they don't form in exactly the same place every time. If you put a leaf between their skin and a bright light and remove it you will see a shadow of the leaf for a few moments.

When you think about it, all a cham really has to do to disappear in the background is break up it's silhouette. A solid colored animal shows up clearly on a complex background...a patchy colored animal disappears even though it isn't a match for the background. But chams add emotional visual communcation to the mix unlike many other "cryptic" colored critters.

Bradypodion Pumilums is most pathetic at adapting with the environment colour haha.
I find the adults because they are so brightly coloured around the dark plants

I agree with Carlton.
Chameleon do have a somewhat limited ability in camouflaging.
But, not to the extend of such creatures:

Interesting first link, Kinyonga. Although..
It seemed the writer of the website has commit a faulty reasoning by having a preconceived notion to prove the theory that chameleon change its color to match its background. He misquote the expert's statement and tried to pass his argument by providing the youtube "evidence" of a veiled chameleon changing its color to pink due to its proximity with a pink sunglasses.

Back
Top Bottom