I was asked about a "Rainbow" Panther?

SoCaliSon

Avid Member
I hate it when pet stores start calling animals by whatever name they think will sell it.

During a Poker Game the other night I was chatting with an LAPD Detective who was interested in getting a Chameleon. He said at the pet store he shops at they sell "Rainbow Panther Chameleons" ...I just rolled my eyes and said that they had most likely made up that name as I had never heard of it. I explained "Locales" to him and told him they labeled them that way probably because they either 1. Had no idea what they were talking about or 2. They had no idea what the Locale was...Or both! Have you guys ever heard of anyone selling Panthers as specifically "Rainbow Panthers"?:rolleyes:

Oh Yeah... I won a nice chunk of money in that tourney placing 1st...woohoo!

Joe

"Rainbow" is a term that used to be used in the early 90's to describe panthers that weren't identifiable as coming from the "known" locales at that time (Nosy Be, Ambanja, etc). I saw it used most often to describe Diego Suarez and East Coast localities. It seems these days that the term has been used more loosely to describe animals of mixed locality origins. I'd guess they're hybrid morphs.

Awesome... That is just the answer I was looking for... It always pays to ask I guess! Learn something new everyday. Thanks Kent.

im just going to make my own locale from now on too. Kiwi strawberry blast swirl leopard chameleon. What was the name of the petstore btw??

Not sure on the name of the shop but he said it was in Calabasas.

LOL...Yeah, I have a Neopolitan Panther... :D

Ive heard the term rainbow used in association with the ambanja locale ie: Gavan from screameleons type.. it is no doubt a "designer" name.

you talking with a lapd detective:eek::p

you talking with a lapd detective:eek::p

Haha...Yeah... Some people are good to have on your side!;) This guy even looks kind of like a younger Columbo! lol.

He overheard me telling somebody about my Chams, and was really excited to start talking herps with someone. Talk about a really nice guy... he has a couple of giant Sulcatas that roam his back yard. He is bringing his kids over this weekend to check out the Cham Room, and try to learn a little bit more as he is thinking of getting one.

Rainbow

The term Rainbow is used here in Ontario, Canada by Connie Dorval. She calls the Maroantsetra Panther a Rainbow because she said it's hard for people to say or remember the name Maroantsetra. She's been breeding for 10+ years and also doesn't think Ambilobe is a true locale. She thinks it's a hybrid. :rolleyes:

When I hear the term rainbow, I think Hybrid.

Back
Top Bottom