I want to teach my chameleon to be hand fed

DLG

I recently adopted a very skinny Jackson chameleon and i want to teach her to be hand fed or cup fed so i can easily keep track of how much she eats and i havent found any good advice. I tried to hold a cricket in front of her and she almost took it then she realized i was holding it and didn't take it. Any good techniques i could try?

Also you can try kind of covering your hand with some of her greenery in her cage. Stay very still and patience! I've also seen people mentioning being behind the food so they focus on the bug instead of you. Have you tried doing superworms instead of crickets? They make a tastier treat that may make it worth it for her to forget you're the one holding it :D Thats what ended up working for me. Superworms wiggle a lot so can be a challenge to hold in your finger tips but that catches their eye.

I will put hornworms or silkworms on the end of a branch and hold up for Omar to take. He will eat all of his worms like that. Its funny when he sees me though he leans his whole body to the side like he is trying to hide behind the branch at first. Then when he realizes there is food he pops back up.

My veiled is over a year old I have a 6' tall 4' wide and 2' deep custom cage and I have always let them loose in his old cage 24x24x48 should I cup feed

No you don't have to cup feed ever. Many people do free range feeding. If that is what your cham is used to and is eating well there is no reason to change anything. The biggest concern is the feeders biting him when he is sleeping. I cup feed Omar but free range Clouseau. Also I won't free range roaches. Just don't want to chance escapees.

Try using millworms instead of crickets put them on the side of your fist get as close as hell let u get and be still and patient

Back
Top Bottom