I want to know!!!

Randy30

So most everyone agrees that screen cages are the best I want to know how many of you have read what Chris Anderson has said about glass terrariums and how many of you have every tried it or are just going off of what everyone else is saying I think good husbandry also is knowing your environment and adapting It to meet the needs of your animal! Meaning if you wanted to raise hairless cats but you lived in Alaska do you think they will thrive there without you adapting your house or a cage to meet there environment needs? I live in a place where that is really dry and low humidity and I'm having four cages built that will be four solid sides with plexiglass doors it will have a screen roof and vent holes in the bottom of each cage so it will pretty much be like a huge ExoTerra cage it will also have a mist king system and a Eco Zone verarrium controller in it so I can control heat and humidity. I'm putting this on here cause I've tried asking people questions and all they have are negative and won't even listen to my reasoning behind it and I think that's wrong!!

It sounds to me like you have already read Chris's article, why are you asking again?:confused:

Exoterra and custom glass or plexiglass is fine with ample ventilation.

There are plenty of keepers who use glass, they use appropriate glass terrariums that are designed for ample ventilation. What type of cage you use is a matter of location, species and personal preference among other things. Typically when people get worked up over a glass cage it is because someone is using an aquarium which is not designed for ventilation or height.

You can keep any in a glass terrarium but you also have to keep in mind the sizes of glass terrariums that are available. Make sure to pick an appropriate size for the species. Its easier to find large mesh enclosures. If you are into making your own you can also use plexi glass. Just ensure proper ventilation like Chris has explained.

Also if you buy a large mesh enclosure you can take a shower curtain and wrap it around 3 sides to keep the humidity up and get rid of over spray! Many people do it. I personally use the reptariums because the mesh is a fine that it keeps more humidity in, then I added in bamboo fence to the inside to add more climbing features and it keeps even more humidity in. But the best way is to keep many lives plants in the enclosure too.

I have kept some of the smaller breeds in terrariums with complete success. I still use screen cages, as they are easier for me and I think better for my chams. I now keep Lygodactylus williamsi geckos in my terrariums. They are also called electric blue gecko's, they are a hoot. Might want to give that a try for your terrariums.

Also if you buy a large mesh enclosure you can take a shower curtain and wrap it around 3 sides to keep the humidity up and get rid of over spray! Many people do it. I personally use the reptariums because the mesh is a fine that it keeps more humidity in, then I added in bamboo fence to the inside to add more climbing features and it keeps even more humidity in. But the best way is to keep many lives plants in the enclosure too.

Thanks ya they will each be five feet tall and 25 inches wide by 24 inches deep and yes they will all have live plants as well as fake ones also! I guess what I'm trying to get at is the last time I talked about this everyone that was replying to my thread wouldn't let me explain my situation and what i was trying to do to fix my problem

Thanks ya they will each be five feet tall and 25 inches wide by 24 inches deep and yes they will all have live plants as well as fake ones also! I guess what I'm trying to get at is the last time I talked about this everyone that was replying to my thread wouldn't let me explain my situation and what i was trying to do to fix my problem

Which thread are you referring to? The other thread you had regarding plexiglass seemed to have positive comments and suggestions.

I have kept some of the smaller breeds in terrariums with complete success. I still use screen cages, as they are easier for me and I think better for my chams. I now keep Lygodactylus williamsi geckos in my terrariums. They are also called electric blue gecko's, they are a hoot. Might want to give that a try for your terrariums.

Those are cool but I'm having huge cages built there goin to be five feet tall and 25 inches wide by 24 inches deep lol might be a little bit over kill for geckos :)

Which thread are you referring to? The other thread you had regarding plexiglass seemed to have positive comments and suggestions.

Sorry I take that back there was actually only one person negative and wasn't letting me fully explain

Those are cool but I'm having huge cages built there goin to be five feet tall and 25 inches wide by 24 inches deep lol might be a little bit over kill for geckos :)

Wow those sound like some great cages. You could just put lots of williamsi in there.:D

Wow those sound like some great cages. You could just put lots of williamsi in there.:D

:) thanks I'm excited for them to be done I'm goin to post pictures of the process and when there done! Lol ya but then I'd have no room for my chams

Back
Top Bottom