I want to give up he’s too stubborn

As some have stated, get something that's GREEN. Seriously... if its moving and green, it seems to stimulate something in chams. I've had chams eat Katydids within SECONDS even though they've never seen one. I caught a green anole in my porch the other day and went to show him to my chams and two of them tried to eat it. I've also tested this with a bic lighter [for science]. Its something to do with the green. At least that's my personal experience and opinion.

You can go out and catch grasshoppers. I caught about 20 of these the other day at the Lowes garden center [which at least this specific lowes doesnt do pest control].
View attachment 247594

I also live in Florida... and those were anywhere from 1"-2.5". My point is that if you look, you can come across things. [Yes, I ALWAYS carry deli cups for bugs]

As someone else mentioned, Nick Barta runs fullthrottlefeeders.com and he has green banana roaches which are notorious for hunger strike breaking. There are other sources for them and other bugs. You can get "green lacewings" through most nurseries (a green stick/leaf bug).

Just remember with anything you catch outside it may have risks. I personally think that trusting pet shops to keep their feeders clean and safe is more risky. Point is, you know your area and your animals.

Best wishes!
Hi, when you wild catch grasshoppers, are you then Gutloading them and if so with what? I caught about thirty more today and I have them all in a large enclosure with grass and romaine lettuce and some leafy branches but wondering what else to feed them?

Hi, when you wild catch grasshoppers, are you then Gutloading them and if so with what? I caught about thirty more today and I have them all in a large enclosure with grass and romaine lettuce and some leafy branches but wondering what else to feed them?

Ive had some all summer - only feeding oak, and occasionally give carrots, lettuce, and bug burger. Havent lost any so they must be ok! I havent fed any off though.

I think their food of choice depends on species. The ones I caught prefer wheat grasses in the wild, apparently. So if I get eggs Ill set the next gen up in a bioactive enclosure with grasses.

I use manuka honey occasionally like this, only a little to get certain things to stick that otherwise wouldn't like gutload and random stuff I'm experimenting with. Too much probably isn't good from all the sugar, but a little helps. Has the benefit of being somewhat of an antibiotic as well so I like to think maybe it cleans his mouth out a little.

Green bananas are great, but even the 'giant' females are small and you'd need a lot to use as a staple. Excellent variety feeders though
technically you can starve them for about two weeks but suppers can be addictive but to be honest as long as your gut load is good he’ll be fine and he looks fine on the pic
[/Q
You want some flying prey, works every time. Dragon flies are best, BSFs are great too. You can run a light trap at night and collect tons of moths at night with minimal effort.
that sounds genius good advice

You want some flying prey, works every time. Dragon flies are best, BSFs are great too. You can run a light trap at night and collect tons of moths at night with minimal effort.
I’m gonna need mor info on this light trap you speak of because there are tons of katydids moths and mantids around my apartment I just can’t figure out how to beat catch them and if I could make a trap that would be a dream lol

I’m gonna need mor info on this light trap you speak of because there are tons of katydids moths and mantids around my apartment I just can’t figure out how to beat catch them and if I could make a trap that would be a dream lol
I literally throw a halogen work light out in my backyard around 830pm and let it sit for 30-60 mins. Come out and collect with a very fine net and Just throw them in a 5gal tank and carry that. Don't know if that's pheasable at an apartment though?

I literally throw a halogen work light out in my backyard around 830pm and let it sit for 30-60 mins. Come out and collect with a very fine net and Just throw them in a 5gal tank and carry that. Don't know if that's pheasable at an apartment though?
Wasting your time with a halogen light if there are a bunch of other light sources around, you’ll just blend in with the rest. Even more so if they are using HPS bulbs for lighting The parking lots.

@Daesie11
Honestly really shouldn’t be running this close to populated areas anyway due to risk of contamination. But if you were confident your catch is clean, go with a simple UV light with a white sheet. Super simple, very effective. The UV light will put out wavelengths that make it stand out from other sources around.
520A2477-B9AD-40A7-940D-6B22668BA85C.jpeg
67FD8446-3E24-46BE-8402-81CDF08025E9.jpeg
EA6A82CE-4618-473C-BF68-2F4C1CDFD351.png

What?! I'm coming over! I didn't find a single katydid all summer.

What?! I'm coming over! I didn't find a single katydid all summer.
Yeah! I know they around because I can hear them I just can’t see or catch them. I live right next to Cherry Creek park so maybe I’ll go in at night one of these days and see what I can catch lol.
Thank you @Brodybreaux25 for the ideas, I’ll let you know what my haul is when I manage to get out to the park :LOL:

Wasting your time with a halogen light if there are a bunch of other light sources around, you’ll just blend in with the rest. Even more so if they are using HPS bulbs for lighting The parking lots.

@Daesie11
Honestly really shouldn’t be running this close to populated areas anyway due to risk of contamination. But if you were confident your catch is clean, go with a simple UV light with a white sheet. Super simple, very effective. The UV light will put out wavelengths that make it stand out from other sources around. View attachment 247775View attachment 247776View attachment 247777
Now how do I make my city boy husband go camping with me to catch bugs :unsure: He doesn’t like dirt or bug hmmm

My Chams wouldn't go for dubias in a cup either, I think it was because they don't move around as much in the cup. I have one guy that will eat anything out of the cup tho

@Daesie11
Honestly really shouldn’t be running this close to populated areas anyway due to risk of contamination. But if you were confident your catch is clean, go with a simple UV light with a white sheet. Super simple, very effective. The UV light will put out wavelengths that make it stand out from other sources around. View attachment 247775View attachment 247776View attachment 247777
How do you collect the buggers off of the sheet?

Back
Top Bottom