I think they're hatching!

AndrewBrian

Hi guys 2 of my female chameleons laid eggs 2 days apart one on october 19 and the other on october 21. The october21 batch of eggs were relatively small both females are first timers being gravid and laying eggs so these are their first clutches. Both batches are being incubated closet incubation method with temperatures ranging 74 degrees to 80 degrees depending on when my airconditioning is on or off. I think the smaller eggs are hatching i see red veins and an embryo when i candle and just this morning 2 of the eggs are sweating(at least that's what i think) while the other batch of eggs dont seem to have clear veins on them yet. They are approximately 5 months old. I will post pictures... can anyone help me assess if they are hatching? or am i just too excited...

Attachments

• hatching 1.jpg
    hatching 1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 118
  • hatching 2.jpg
    hatching 2.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 129
If they were laid in October that seems like its too soon for them to be hatching. They don't look big enough. But I'm sure its happened this soon before. Mine are about ready to hatch and the outside of the shell have a crackled look to them.

I've had a clutch hatch around 5 months I think.
But it's pretty unusual for panthers or veileds (forget which you have there).
Also- maybe it is my light, but I think the growth inside the eggs eventually make candling nearly impossible with my light. At first veins, etc, then as the embryo grows it blocks the light and the veins don't show.

If you have recently added water and added a bit too much- that can also make the eggs sweat.

Either way, good luck!

thanks for the replies guys yeah i know it's too soon i was expecting them to hatch at least another month or 2 more months from now... with regards to the size these eggs were really small to begin with slightly smaller than pork and beans... i really thought at first they were an infertile clutch but they were fertile and have grown significantly doubled in circumference since they were first laid.... I just think it's too soon for them to hatch too the embryo doesnt seem that big yet... hopefully they will be ok just nervous though the eggs that were lain by my other female 2 days before this one cant even see veins yet maybe because the eggs are a bit dirtier from the soil

I have a clutch that hatched earlier than a clutch that was laid 2 months earlier. 5 months and 22 days. You just never know.
Scott

Sometimes it can be pretty steady, and others very inconsistently. Just don't pull them out before they're ready. I wait till they're walking around pretty good. They can be very tired after making out of the egg.

Back
Top Bottom