i think she is pregnant :)

jacquesvanzijl

Hi Guys

I got her 5 days ago and she is my first :)... but tonight i noticed the way she is sitting... that she might be pregnant ???

please give me advice !! see pics

thank you

Attachments

• P28-04-11_21-12.jpg
    P28-04-11_21-12.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 227
  • P28-04-11_21-13.jpg
    P28-04-11_21-13.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 184
  • P28-04-11_21-13[1].jpg
    P28-04-11_21-13[1].jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 171
Hi Guys

I got her 5 days ago and she is my first :)... but tonight i noticed the way she is sitting... that she might be pregnant ???

please give me advice !! see pics

thank you
It looks like she's either got eggs or (hopefully not) the condition known as "egg bound." I just lost a female veiled to that myself. Either way, you need to get her a sandbox ready ASAP so she has a place to dig. If she's not digging soon, she may need a trip to the vet -- if not beforehand. (I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, but I've lost 2 females to this condition in a year's time...it's heartbreaking). jannb on the forum has a GREAT post about how to set up a laying bin for female chams - she has a female veiled that has had lots of success. Good luck!!

i have read her blog!!! i will get her a laying bin ASAP tomorrow morning... Tell me we are in South Africa so your American sizes is different then us.. how deep should the bin be..?? 16CM??

your female

My 'temporary' bin was about 20cm deep that my female could get to all the time. I kept the sand the right consistency in case she did use it (you don't want the sand to cave in on them when they dig) and watched for any signs of laying. Then I had a bigger laying bin like jannb has on her blog - the trash can - at the ready to put her in when she was definitely digging. Unfortunately, my female's health declined due to the eggs' impaction and we never got as far as the sand. My herp vet was helpful in determining how soon I should consider intervening medically after waiting for the chameleon to do her thing. I found the process very stressful and I wish I'd had more knowledge before getting to that point. You are wise to be researching now. :)

Jannb (and others on the forum) will have great suggestions on what signs to look for and what you can do to help your cham in her process. At any rate, it's always best to have a good herp vet at the ready 'just in case' you need them. These creatures are complicated at first!

12:00 at midnight i'm chasing up and down my road searching for the perfect sand hahah i got her sand in n 20cm baking glass thing haha

see attach picture

Attachments

• P28-04-11_23-17.jpg
    P28-04-11_23-17.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 110
When they say 20cm, they are talking about depth, not width. Is that dish 20cm deep? It should be at least that deep and still reasonably wide as well.

no its about 10cm .... i will have to make another plan for her.... will go and by n good cage for her and were one can give her the sand and depth needed

hi guys

i got a new cage for her and installed a 50CM backed with river sand so she can now dig her hole to lay eggs,

My question is how log should she be in this cage before she will dig her hole??

Was reading your posts and realized that nobody answered this one. What happened with her? Did she lay any eggs?

Well she is still not digging ????

I have even sorting out her sand made sure everything is correct but she is still eating and still going to her fav spot on the branch...

i'm really getting worried now

what is the longest time one should wait before she will start to dig... from the time she is gravid to the day she needs to lay her eggs how many weeks will tis be??

They normally start to dig around the 30 day mark after mating. If she wasn't mated there is no way to know exactly when she will lay (by counting days)...but she should show signs being close to laying in either case...exploring the cage to find a place to lay them, drinking more, possibly eating less (depends on how many eggs she's carrying to some extent), may bask more. If, however she is heading towards eggbinding she might show lethargy, eyes shut during the day, sitting low in the cage, etc.

The big problem is that by the time you/anyone realizes that she is becoming eggbound, it may be too late to do anything but spay her....so let's hope she starts digging on her own. (When/if she digs....do not let her see you watching her as she is digging. It usually makes the chameleon abandon the hole...and if it happens too often she can become eggbound.)

Fingers crossed that all goes well.

Yep time for a laying bin.I use a 2gal bucket.( like3-4liters bucket) with coconut/sand mix and toss a piece of fake vine on top.And replace the bucket with one of the plants in her cage. mine won't go into the laying bin unless i toss the fake vine on top.When she is close to laying her colors will change those blue-green spots will get dark,ect.
hope this helps curt

she is always in the mid of her cage... she has n fav spot and she loves it there... this weekend i took her out side for 6 hours in the sun... and she had black spots all over her....

Back
Top Bottom