I think my Veiled is dying :(

jonr

I have a 2 1/2 year old Veiled chameleon who has been perfectly healthy for the passed years and now im concerned for him. I noticed that today he went to the bottom of the cage and stayed there all day then fell asleep down there during the day. For the past few weeks he has been sleeping with one leg off a branch (No Know MBD). He gets D3 once to twice a week, calcium 5x a week and a multi vitamin 2x a month. Crickets are his primary meal but does get meal worms from time to time. Not sure if he is normal just getting a little older or what??? Does anyone have any experience with this??? THANKS SO MUCH

my panther will sometimes spend a day at the lowest branch in his cage. a leg hanging off a branch is nothing to be extremely worried about...there legs need a break every now and then. If he is moving around to bask and take in UBV, eating and drinking then im sure he isn't dying. if you see him sleeping, im sure it could be bacteria related or he is just missing something in his diet. pics would help and so would a check up at the vet.

I have a 2 1/2 year old Veiled chameleon who has been perfectly healthy for the passed years and now im concerned for him. I noticed that today he went to the bottom of the cage and stayed there all day then fell asleep down there during the day. For the past few weeks he has been sleeping with one leg off a branch (No Know MBD). He gets D3 once to twice a week, calcium 5x a week and a multi vitamin 2x a month. Crickets are his primary meal but does get meal worms from time to time. Not sure if he is normal just getting a little older or what??? Does anyone have any experience with this??? THANKS SO MUCH

Don't worry about dangling a leg off perches. He may have an achy joint. An adult veiled does not need a D3 twice a week...reduce it to once a week. No multi vitamin 2 x a month...reduce it to once every month to 6 weeks. Check your gutload and improve it with fresh fruits, veggies, bee pollen, etc instead of relying on dusts. How old is your UVB light and what brand is it? If older than 6 months replace it. Get him out in unfiltered sunlight when you can. It can really give them a much needed boost. Check your cage humidity...he could be seeking a higher level during part of the day. Also, if you can, diversify his diet to include more soft bodied insects like dubia roaches, silkworms or hornworms. The green colors are often favored and maybe he needs a bit more variety as he ages.

Don't worry about dangling a leg off perches. He may have an achy joint. An adult veiled does not need a D3 twice a week...reduce it to once a week. No multi vitamin 2 x a month...reduce it to once every month to 6 weeks. Check your gutload and improve it with fresh fruits, veggies, bee pollen, etc instead of relying on dusts. How old is your UVB light and what brand is it? If older than 6 months replace it. Get him out in unfiltered sunlight when you can. It can really give them a much needed boost. Check your cage humidity...he could be seeking a higher level during part of the day. Also, if you can, diversify his diet to include more soft bodied insects like dubia roaches, silkworms or hornworms. The green colors are often favored and maybe he needs a bit more variety as he ages.

I found him again on the bottom of the cage sleeping on the ground! I picked him up and up him back on the branch. Im not sure whats the issue. Im nervous he might not make it. Ill switch out the UVB tomorrow and try different food. Ill post a pic please let me know what you think, I just moved him up and he is back to sleep... sleeps way more now

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 1,731
IMHO that chameleon is hanging his legs for some other reason than resting. I think it would be good for him to see a vet.

Vet time for him and extremely soon.

The chameleon looks malnourished and im sure dehydrated. I would get him in a shower asap. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/ataraxia/594-shower-chamber-treatment.html We need more info on your care to see what is the cause behind this. https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

I called the vet today but unfortunatly he won't be in till Tuesday and want to hold him for 25 $ a day plus a visit fee and meds. I don't have that kind of money, I'm at work right now but I'll def give him a shower when I get home (I hope he makes it) but I'll do it as soon as I get home, he is staying bright greens all the time which makes me think he is not going to make it

It's a illusion, his legs are fine besides the fact he doesn't seem to have the strength to hold on anymore, and the fact that all he wants to do is sleep

Alrighty good its not bent! I hope he's alright. He does need to see a vet with those symptoms though

Ok I got a different vet to see him tomorrow at 10 am for a better rate lets just hope he can make it through the night! I'll give him the shower when I get in tonight

Well while I was at work he passed away today, I had a appt for him tomorrow hoping he would pull through but no luck! It's strange cause he has been in perfect health and this is super sudden

Oh no! :( I am so sorry for your loss, it seems this came on very quick - do any of the senior members have any clues/ideas as to what it could have been?

Sorry about your guy!
Glenna

Yea this came on extramly fast and it's eats me up cause I have everything the lil guy needs to be healthy, I'm going to break down his cage and rebuild a new one and order a panther, this is a tuff day now!!!

Yea this came on extramly fast and it's eats me up cause I have everything the lil guy needs to be healthy, I'm going to break down his cage and rebuild a new one and order a panther, this is a tuff day now!!!

That's terrible buddy I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Keep us posted on ur new guy!

I'm shocked at how quick this can happen (especially being new to keeping chams). I really feel for you jonr and sorry for your loss. It's a tuff day for you indeed :(

Would you consider a necropsy to see how he died? If it came on this suddenly and you haven't changed your routine at all then it could shed some light on the problem. And my condolences, it's never easy to lose a friend.

Back
Top Bottom