I think my Male veiled has MBD

Hyperpower

First off i'm going to tell you the details of my cage

-100w Incandescent light bulb for basking (85f) (75f ambient temp)
-reptisun uvb tube 5.0 zoo-med
-2x2x4 screen cage
-little dripper (constant drip) I mist once in the morning and at night
-carrot gut loaded crickets/dusted with zoo-med calcium without d3 and with every once in a while.

I don't understand I've done everything right, he ALWAYS wants out of his cage.

Not quite sure about his age, I got him as a baby back in march. Ever since I got him he was always dark up by his basking light, it's like he was never happy unless he was eating/drinking or when I took him out.

I think he has MBD because his grip is weak, and every once in a while he'll tremble and he's hardly eating anymore
edit:
-he's fallen a lot
-he's not eating as much
-his grip is weak
-he always wants out
-he trembles/shakes

Attachments

• 20131126_150930.jpg
    20131126_150930.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 20131126_150936.jpg
    20131126_150936.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 149
  • 20131126_151117.jpg
    20131126_151117.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
post pics of him.

Shaking is not alwys a sign of mbd. he could be doing the leaf dance, or trying to threaten you.

please fill out the whole help form, and we can go from there.

How old is he? Old age could be a factor. Pics would very much help and like what camimom said, the trembling could be him trying to scare you off because a human isn't always the most pleasant to the eye.

If his urine is orange it is not good. He is dehydrated then. Although he dosent look like he is... Try misting more often, twice a day is really not enough in many cases. And if you want to break this down completely, visit a vet.

IF hes truly just under a year old it could be a few things:

1. hunger strike
2. hes bored with crickets
3. he isn't as hungry as a baby

To solve:
1. offer no food for several days then try again
2.offer various bug types (roaches are great)
3. doesn't need to eat as often or as much, so every other day is normal for adult chams.

How old is the UVB bulb? If it's been there since March it's time to order a new one. You could even upgrade to a ReptiSUN 10.0, which is stronger than the 5.0. If he does have a deficiency a better UVB bulb will help.

Your gutloading could be stronger. Carrots are great but they're not a complete diet by themselves. Check out this link: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/ About half-way down you'll see a list of good gutload ingredients. Or you can order a bag of a high-quality gutload available commercially, like Bugburger or Superload, both made by Repashy for example.

Depending on how efficiently you want to treat this, you could go to a vet and run some bloodwork. Then they could give you some liquid calcium to correct blood calcium levels, if that's what the problem is. But it would be the most efficient way to see if there is something up. Shaking, falling, and weakness are definitely alarm bells.

How old is the UVB bulb? If it's been there since March it's time to order a new one. You could even upgrade to a ReptiSUN 10.0, which is stronger than the 5.0. If he does have a deficiency a better UVB bulb will help.

Your gutloading could be stronger. Carrots are great but they're not a complete diet by themselves. Check out this link: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/ About half-way down you'll see a list of good gutload ingredients. Or you can order a bag of a high-quality gutload available commercially, like Bugburger or Superload, both made by Repashy for example.

Depending on how efficiently you want to treat this, you could go to a vet and run some bloodwork. Then they could give you some liquid calcium to correct blood calcium levels, if that's what the problem is. But it would be the most efficient way to see if there is something up. Shaking, falling, and weakness are definitely alarm bells.
the uvb is brand new...

IF hes truly just under a year old it could be a few things:

1. hunger strike
2. hes bored with crickets
3. he isn't as hungry as a baby

To solve:
1. offer no food for several days then try again
2.offer various bug types (roaches are great)
3. doesn't need to eat as often or as much, so every other day is normal for adult chams.

he'll only eat small meal worms now. he literally refuses to eat and he's just changed radically in the past couple of days. he even took forever to eat a silk worm which he'd usually eat right away

he'll only eat small meal worms now. he literally refuses to eat and he's just changed radically in the past couple of days. he even took forever to eat a silk worm which he'd usually eat right away

so what you've done is created a spoiled brat. :)

he only wants mealies because you gave him treats before dinner.

don't offer any mealies for several days, then offer him bugs (crickets, roaches, silks) again.

he can go 2-4 days without food and be fine. so long as hes drinking.

so what you've done is created a spoiled brat. :)

he only wants mealies because you gave him treats before dinner.

don't offer any mealies for several days, then offer him bugs (crickets, roaches, silks) again.

he can go 2-4 days without food and be fine. so long as hes drinking.

he's not drinking though. also what's the deal with him always wanting out? he's always on the screen! he's always dark too except for when he eats...which he hasn't been doing

Back
Top Bottom