I think my guy is on his way out...help!

what do you mean by bath you dont want it to drown unlees your talking about a shower what was it you were talking about?

Soaking the animal in a shallow tub of warm water is a perfectly fine way to try and encourage a bowel movement.

-Brad

yeah i do it with my bearded dragon i just was trying to make sure that he knew that drowning was a possiblity.

Thanks Folks
Sorry, South African English. I meant bathe, in a small tub, that the water would come up about midway on his body.
I have two beardies, and they love swimming in the tub.

Hi Folks
Well he's still hanging in there. Not looking any better though. I've set up a drip system, so he's getting moving water regularly, I still haven't seen him drink though.
I went to the pet shop this morning, and bought "ga-ga grubs" little maggot type worms, no shells, loaded with vitamins, and apparently a close substitute for silkworms, so I'm gonna try those tonight.
I'm told that they will help to get him to have a poo, as well as hydrate him, so I'll give it a shot.

that grub might work. if you want to make sure he's drinking, you can use a needle syringe and inject the worm with water and let your cham eat it.

Mark, ga-ga grubs to us are referred to as pheonix worms.
You may need to prick the skin on one or two before you feed them to him, as they may not be digested and come out on the other side whole - this is if he doesn't chew them properly :rolleyes:.

My guy does not eat these at all, but the loves the soldier flies that hatch.

Good luck with your cham and keep us posted.

Hi Folks
He ate 6 grubs this morning, so here's hoping.

He now has crickets and grubs in the cage, dripping water, 5.0 UVB, 40watt basking spot at 378C....

I wait in hope to see if he pulls through.

Thanks a ton for all the advice.

Hi Mark,
I have a very good reptile vet located in Edenvale. They are difficult to find in SA, but there are a few.
He has a couple of rescued flap necks of his own as well as a host of other reptiles.
Please pm me if you want his number.

PS - glad to hear he ate :)

Mark, how is your guy doing? DId he pull through?

Duh, I am so losing it. Thank you LinkinPark. I must have stumbled across this thread while doing a health search today- and didn't even notice the date year. How embarrassing. Now I think I'll head to the classifieds and see if someone has a few clutch mates leftover from 2006 :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom