I think my Cham hates me :(

ChiChamDude

Alright so my veiled chameleon use to love me, he always use to walk on my hand and etc. I got him (early October) when he was a couple weeks old, always green, happy, and looking good.

Well now, I moved to a new place and I may have transported him incorrectly. I left him in his open air screen cage and drove super slow. When I got to my new place I put him right away on top of a desk and he was holding on for dear life....for hours. He was so brown and black I thought he got a skin infection, but at night he was bright neon green so that theory went out the door. But it's been 2 weeks now and as soon as he wakes up he goes back to being brown and black. He will take food from my hand but definitely won't walk on me no matter what.

Will he get over this?

Is there something else in the new room with him? A mirror or something that reflects himself? Perhaps an object in there that could be frightening him?

If it's only been two weeks and there is nothing that obviously is upsetting him then I wouldn't worry too much and give him more time to settle in. I may not even hand feed him during this time and just mist or cup feed or whatever. Chameleons do not do little change well, so huge changes like immediate change of scenery freaks them out. Especially considering they have absolutely no control over it. 2 weeks is about average time for most chameleons to get used to small changes, I would say you may have to wait a month to be sure.

If it's only been two weeks and there is nothing that obviously is upsetting him then I wouldn't worry too much and give him more time to settle in. I may not even hand feed him during this time and just mist or cup feed or whatever. Chameleons do not do little change well, so huge changes like immediate change of scenery freaks them out. Especially considering they have absolutely no control over it. 2 weeks is about average time for most chameleons to get used to small changes, I would say you may have to wait a month to be sure.

OK got it, yeah I'll give him his space and see how things go. I feel like I'm being an over bearing parent haha.

However definitely keep a look out for physical decline, like not eating or dehydration signs. Just because you are giving space doesn't mean something physically couldn't be wrong. However I would bet its just the change.

Back
Top Bottom