i think i am allergic to my chameleons nails

bruce the cham

Avid Member
when ever i hold Bruce and he climbs up my arm usually about 2 minutes i put him back and a minute later i get a bunch of red puffy bumps on my arm and they sting he is a 11 month old veiled

That also happens to me with my parson’s who have long nails. Worth mentioning I have sensitive skin. They’re little scratches that usually go away after a few hours. I wear a long sleeve shirt to help prevent them from happening.
k thanks for the advice

Make sure you are washing your hands and arms after handling... These guys can still carry some gross stuff and you do not want to be impacted by something like salmonella. I wear long sleeve shirts as well when handling.

This happens to me too. Worth mentioning I am also mildly allergic to dogs and cats. Like others have said always best practice to wash after handling but I also find long sleeves help a lot, they grasp the fabric not your skin as much. Try not to scratch the hives! I know it’s hard! If you find it really irritating your doctor can prescribe you a steroid cream

I get this from time to time as well! It definitely happens to me more with babies and juveniles as their nails are sharper than my older guys. I wash with soap and water and it seems to go away after a few hours.

You might like to consider this...may not only be ficus that causes it...
"Apparently the contact dermatitis originated from passive transfer of Ficus benjamina allergens to the patient's skin by the reptile which habitually climbed on a big Ficus benjamina tree in the patient's home, thereby contaminating its claws with the plant's allergenic milky sap"...
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15657732/

You might like to consider this...may not only be ficus that causes it...
"Apparently the contact dermatitis originated from passive transfer of Ficus benjamina allergens to the patient's skin by the reptile which habitually climbed on a big Ficus benjamina tree in the patient's home, thereby contaminating its claws with the plant's allergenic milky sap"...
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15657732/
That’s really interesting!

I was going to say sometimes the allergy is to the plants they climb. Many people have allergies to certain kinds of wood. Their nails are acting as a scratch test you just don't know what you are being "scratched" with.

Back
Top Bottom