I think I accedently stopped my female veiled from laying eggs

Betta_Koi

Hi,
My female Veiled Chameleon, Kodak, has only laid eggs once since I've had her. She's 13 months old now and she last laid when she was 5-6 months.

She's not acting egg bound, she's eating and climbing but she's also digging. I read that temperatures and food intake can affect egg production. I keep her temps lowish and I feed her once a day to every other day.

Can chameleons lay once then just stop producing eggs?

Do I need to be concerned about her digging yet not having any eggs?

When you say you think you have “Stopped you female veiled from laying eggs” do you mean you think you interrupted her while she was digging or do you think you have prevented her body from producing eggs altogether by imposing food/heat restrictions?

I’ve never heard of a Cham that just stops producing eggs. I’m sure it’s biologicaly possible but I’m also sure it’s pretty rare. If you have been imposing heat/food restrictions it is entirely possible that she has a small clutch. If she is digging she has eggs.

Does she have a lay bin? Can you post a pic of her viv and lay bin?

Okay that's what I needed to know. I'll post pictures later but the whole back side of her cage is her lay bin. There's about 4 inches of dirt in the front then it slopes up to about 12 inches of dirt. She is in a glass viv (I know, I know but it's the only thing that keeps the humidity in around here). I believe its 24-26" x 24-26" x 36". She's got a potted tree (I switched the dirt for eco earth before I put it in there) and a bunch of fake ivy to climb on. She's got a heat emitter and a UVB hood.
I was wondering if it was possible for them to stop completely because I got her from my work and the breeder sent her to us much older then usual which tends to mean something is wrong with her or they can't breed her. I don't make the decisions I just try to educate the public. If it was up to me we wouldn't be using that reptile breeder anymore. They've been getting shadier and shadier.
She may be laying I just haven't seen any eggs when I move/clean her dirt. But I have seen her get rounder then suddenly deflate overnight so I may just not be finding them.

Okay that's what I needed to know. I'll post pictures later but the whole back side of her cage is her lay bin. There's about 4 inches of dirt in the front then it slopes up to about 12 inches of dirt. She is in a glass viv (I know, I know but it's the only thing that keeps the humidity in around here). I believe its 24-26" x 24-26" x 36". She's got a potted tree (I switched the dirt for eco earth before I put it in there) and a bunch of fake ivy to climb on. She's got a heat emitter and a UVB hood.
I was wondering if it was possible for them to stop completely because I got her from my work and the breeder sent her to us much older then usual which tends to mean something is wrong with her or they can't breed her. I don't make the decisions I just try to educate the public. If it was up to me we wouldn't be using that reptile breeder anymore. They've been getting shadier and shadier.
She may be laying I just haven't seen any eggs when I move/clean her dirt. But I have seen her get rounder then suddenly deflate overnight so I may just not be finding them.
Something I like to do when I know my girl is close to laying is to do a zen garden thing to the top of my soil. I use a coarse hair comb, teeth are about 1/4” apart, and rake the entire surface to make it all uniform. Then you can tell where she has been digging because the surface will be all messed up.
37C3D37E-23E6-4D3E-8037-1F5063CDF900.png

... and glass vivs aren’t as bad as most people make them out to be. They do take extra effort to control the humidity and air circulation but both of these can be addressed by installing and tuning a small CPU cooling fan on a timer switch. It’s the aquariums people try to use that create all the problems. Wheather your viv is made of screen or glass each of them have their own drawbacks that must be compensated for.

Back
Top Bottom