I need some tips to get my juvenile veiled chameleon to stop being so picky

Hi everyone,

I’m new here. About a month ago I got a young female veiled chameleon. I’ve had other lizards/reptiles before but she is my first chameleon. She’s very active, I see her drink regularly, her humidity levels are consistently 55-60 percent and I have no problem getting her to eat CERTAIN things. The first two to three weeks I had her she would eat anything I put in front of her. This all changed when I gave her her first horned worm a little over a week ago. She went nuts for it and now bum rushes those every time I offer her one. Since then she hasn’t eaten any roaches or crickets (she used to love these) now she only eats different kinds of worms (mostly small hornworms and some meal worms). I guess I just want to know 1) is this bad for her? And 2) how can I get her to go back to not being so picky?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there and welcome... So things like hornworms are more of a treat. If you were giving her more then 2-4 a week then yeah she is going to want those lol. Stop offering the horns and she will go back to other feeders.

Meal worms you can stop feeding. They are low in nutritional value and high in chiten so they can be harder to digest.

chameleon-food(1).jpg

Thanks! She has only had 3 so far so I’ll just put a halt on those until she starts eating other things again. I just picked up some slightly larger roaches for one of my other pets so I’ll try giving her a couple of those when I get home and see if the larger size gets her excited (not as in to large for her to eat just slightly larger then she’s used to seeing). As for the mealworms I’ll just cut them out completely! I just have some kicking around that I use for treats for other things and someone told me they make good treats for veilds so that’s the only reason she got those in the first place.

thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom