I need some advice...

Hey guys, so I'm a 13 year old chameleon mama and I know by that you guys are probably thinking "yikes, that's really young for such big responsibility." Yes, I am a teenager, however I am extremely responsible and I have gotten the okay from everyone for my husbandry. My sister's friend also owns a chameleon and my sister sent me a picture of the enclosure. I'll put the photo down below. Obviously looking at it you probably had the same reaction as me, which was deeply concerned. I am not sure how to tell her that her husbandry is extremely incompetent, also she is 16 and I am 13. All I know is that she has a male veiled chameleon which is either a juvenile or an adult, and she only feeds it crickets with the weird orange cubes as the gutload. Should I tell her she needs to do some reaseach?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 12.08.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 12.08.43 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 93
Hey guys, so I'm a 13 year old chameleon mama and I know by that you guys are probably thinking "yikes, that's really young for such big responsibility." Yes, I am a teenager, however I am extremely responsible and I have gotten the okay from everyone for my husbandry. My sister's friend also owns a chameleon and my sister sent me a picture of the enclosure. I'll put the photo down below. Obviously looking at it you probably had the same reaction as me, which was deeply concerned. I am not sure how to tell her that her husbandry is extremely incompetent, also she is 16 and I am 13. All I know is that she has a male veiled chameleon which is either a juvenile or an adult, and she only feeds it crickets with the weird orange cubes as the gutload. Should I tell her she needs to do some reaseach?
I think being honest but kind is important. Just tell them that if they leave the chameleon in that fish tank it will die. Explain that the entire set up is incorrect for an arboreal reptile. And send them to this link to learn how to properly set stuff up. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Tell them about the forum...

Well written for a girl your age and it shows real concern for your friends cham. Since she is older than you she probably thinks she is smarter (which I doubt). I would tell her if she wants her cham to have a good life,
to take some of your suggestions and join the forum where she can get valuable info.
Good luck😎

Age isn’t always a good indicator of responsibility or wisdom. There are many younger keepers on the forum who do an astounding job keeping their chameleons.
I think the key to getting someone to listen is to not sound like you’re attacking or criticizing them. If this person loves their chameleon, they are not intentionally providing bad care...they just don’t know any better. Besides the great advice already given, share some of Neptune the chameleon’s videos from YouTube.

Should I tell her she needs to do some research?

Tell her to join this forum. :)
Not the first time someone has posted about someone they know who could use some help in this area, and an animal without a voice.

Either suggestion could run the risk of her brushing you off—it really depends on her personality, temperament, attitude & maturity, how it's broached, and probably some other variables.

We no nothing about this person aside from apparent lack of knowledge & understanding.

Any chance of a heart to heart with your sister about the sitch? Might that be a starting point? 🤷‍♂️

Or since it's your sister's friend, maybe your sister can help you out and might be comfortable talking to her about it ? 😊

If I was in the other person's shoes I'd gladly take advice, just not sure how the others personality is.

Hi! I am 14! As long as your responsible and are willing to put the hard work in! Age does not matter! Infact, it's teen empowerment!

I agree with the others. Invite her to the forum's! I'm sure that we will be able to introduce help.

Try not to use words like "you should" "you" when inviting her.

Make her feel as if you are inviting her for an opportunity.

Welcome to the community! 😃

Hi! I am 14! As long as your responsible and are willing to put the hard work in! Age does not matter! Infact, it's teen empowerment!

I agree with the others. Invite her to the forum's! I'm sure that we will be able to introduce help.

Try not to use words like "you should" "you" when inviting her.

Make her feel as if you are inviting her for an opportunity.

Welcome to the community! 😃

I had no idea you were 14! I love what @MissSkittles said, “age isn’t always a good indicator of responsibility or wisdom,” so true. You do seem to be very responsible and wise beyond your age! Just sayin. :)

Back
Top Bottom