I need ideas for an escape proof feeder run

janjan20

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have a dilemma...the feeder runs I have are not containing my red runners! I currently have a small Full Throttle feeder run and a Shooter gallery. I have seen them crawl out of both and they are not even full size. I have cleaned them to make the surfaces as smooth as possible it seems like the calcium dust helps them grip. Maybe I’m crazy idk but they are driving me crazy lol!

TIA!!

This is pretty much the problem with all of the feeders. I have a giant outdoor enclosure so I used shoe box sized plastic bin with gutter guard glued to the inside and the lid glued to the back, my cham likes it better too. Get creative and use something with slick plastic

@janjan20 I wish I had known you were planning to feed red runners. I would have strongly recommended the large feeder. The small feeders are designed for very small chameleons and young juveniles. They are designed to hold smaller two week crickets and feeders appropriate to that size chameleon. I have kept smaller nymph sized red runners in the small without escapes. I would not recommend putting medium or full grown RR in the small feeder. It is meant to allow a juvenile chameleon to climb out of it and larger RR can climb on each other and get out.

Here is my first one. It was a rough draft, but works very well. I made the small mistake of putting hot glue on the inside. If I did it again I wouldn't because they sometimes climb up the glue. Since it's outside I don't care though and they never leave it, they just hide on the hot glue where the cham cant always get them. One could add some vines and stuff around it and put some twigs inside to make it look more natural. I find chams eat better that way too.

Attachments

• 20190510_154312.jpg
    20190510_154312.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 108
Pack them up and sent them to someone in desperate need of some feeders. That’s what we did with ours about 10 years ago. I don’t like those things and they escaped no matter what we did.
I’m finding out the hard way... :confused: he loves them and it’s the only roach he’s really interested in.

@janjan20 I wish I had known you were planning to feed red runners. I would have strongly recommended the large feeder. The small feeders are designed for very small chameleons and young juveniles. They are designed to hold smaller two week crickets and feeders appropriate to that size chameleon. I have kept smaller nymph sized red runners in the small without escapes. I would not recommend putting medium or full grown RR in the small feeder. It is meant to allow a juvenile chameleon to climb out of it and larger RR can climb on each other and get out.
Just looked at the order thread and I did order the large. The reds are not full grown most that I put in are less than an inch. Maybe you sent a small? I will pm you the dimensions.

Here is my first one. It was a rough draft, but works very well. I made the small mistake of putting hot glue on the inside. If I did it again I wouldn't because they sometimes climb up the glue. Since it's outside I don't care though and they never leave it, they just hide on the hot glue where the cham cant always get them. One could add some vines and stuff around it and put some twigs inside to make it look more natural. I find chams eat better that way too.
Thanks! I made a make shift one for now out of a milk carton. I shook the heck out of it and no escapees lol.

Yeah I was going to ask what size you got. I literally watch and laugh at the huge dubia trying to get out with no success in mine. But I have the large one.
You're talking about the shooting gallery, right? I took apart my enclosure thing morning for cleaning and when I removed the background panels, I found about 15 roaches hiding back there! I've ordered a large shooting gallery, really hoping it helps me contain feeders better!

You're talking about the shooting gallery, right? I took apart my enclosure thing morning for cleaning and when I removed the background panels, I found about 15 roaches hiding back there! I've ordered a large shooting gallery, really hoping it helps me contain feeders better!
Yep that is exactly what I am talking about. I have not had any issues at all with the Large one. It works great and Beman loves it.

When I put Dubia in they never got out, it’s the reds that are like acrobats. I have seen them do some crazy things...

Back
Top Bottom