I need helpwith my lighting!

Ijust moved my veiled Cham into a screen cage and started using a linear 10.0 uvb reptisun bulb. Is 10.0 too much? I have been told that it is mush too strong for a Cham and a 5.0 is better. Will a 10.0 cause harm or do you think I can keep it for a while?

You should only be using a 10.0 if you have a very heavily planted viv. If you don’t have that you need to switch to the 5.0 soon before you damage your chams eyes.

What size enclosure and how old is the veiled? If it is an enclosure for an adult sized chameleon the 10.0 should be fine. If you are worried you could put an extra piece of screen between the light and the cage. That would help reduce the intensity. After a month or so you can remove the extra screen as the bulb ages.

What size enclosure and how old is the veiled? If it is an enclosure for an adult sized chameleon the 10.0 should be fine. If you are worried you could put an extra piece of screen between the light and the cage. That would help reduce the intensity. After a month or so you can remove the extra screen as the bulb ages.
The enclosure is 16x16x30 and my veiled is around 3 months old

I’ve always been told that the 10.0s were for heavily planted vivs only. Sounds like you disagree with that. What’s your take on it?

I’ve always been told that the 10.0s were for heavily planted vivs only. Sounds like you disagree with that. What’s your take on it?

10.0 would be OK in a larger enclosure. The idea is that the chameleon isn't forced to spend a ton of time in direct contact with the intense light. A smaller enclosure does not give the animal much choice of where to spend it's time and it can be "forced" to stay in the direct path of the light. The idea that a heavily planted enclosure is best is from the fact that there is more chance of thermo-regulation. In this case, and the chameleon should be able to seek out the area that it wants to either warm up or cool down. The more densely filled enclosures would tend to mimic dappled sunlight, but most of the intense rays of the UVB are within the first few inches of the screen and there usually aren't many leaves up that high. In other words, the chameleon would not get the protection from the UVB in the most densely planted enclosures if it spent it's time at the top. The best way to tell for sure would be with a solar meter, but in this specific case, the enclosure is too small (in my opinion) for a 10.0 and the animal too young.

10.0 would be OK in a larger enclosure. The idea is that the chameleon isn't forced to spend a ton of time in direct contact with the intense light. A smaller enclosure does not give the animal much choice of where to spend it's time and it can be "forced" to stay in the direct path of the light. The idea that a heavily planted enclosure is best is from the fact that there is more chance of thermo-regulation. In this case, and the chameleon should be able to seek out the area that it wants to either warm up or cool down. The more densely filled enclosures would tend to mimic dappled sunlight, but most of the intense rays of the UVB are within the first few inches of the screen and there usually aren't many leaves up that high. In other words, the chameleon would not get the protection from the UVB in the most densely planted enclosures if it spent it's time at the top. The best way to tell for sure would be with a solar meter, but in this specific case, the enclosure is too small (in my opinion) for a 10.0 and the animal too young.
Ok thank you again for the info. Also do you think that I can turn my uvb off for the night and keep it on for the day?

Yep, no lights at night. As a basic practice you should think of 12 hours with lights and 12 without. The lights at night will not allow them to get the required sleep they need.

Back
Top Bottom