I need help

I_need_help

So I have a veiled chameleon. And I would like to also get a sun conure. If you don’t know, they are extremely loud birds. Of course, they can fly. And they constantly make noises. If I let my bird out and my chameleon out at the same time, what will happen. Or what if I just take the bird out. Will it try to attack my chameleon. Please let me know

Also, sun conures are very small birds. They are about the size of a blue jay. So I’m not to sure if it will try to attack the chameleons. But I won’t take any chances. Ok well I had another idea. Since chameleons aren’t very affectionate to humans. And they don’t like being around humans, can I just put the chameleon in a different room where I won’t ever let the bird in. Like because chameleons don’t really require handling or affectionate care I can just leave the cage in a different room and feed him.

Also, sun conures are very small birds. They are about the size of a blue jay. So I’m not to sure if it will try to attack the chameleons. But I won’t take any chances. Ok well I had another idea. Since chameleons aren’t very affectionate to humans. And they don’t like being around humans, can I just put the chameleon in a different room where I won’t ever let the bird in. Like because chameleons don’t really require handling or affectionate care I can just leave the cage in a different room and feed him.
Yup

JamesT0o0 point is valid but all birds regardless of their size and cuteness and all that other B.S. are predators and depending on their temperment they can certainly be mean and aggressive and potentially attack a Chameleon regardless of it's size. My mother in laws little freaking parakeet attacks me. So my advice is proceed with much caution and at least keep them separated at all times. :) If you're going to get a bird you might consider getting a duck. Trust me.

So by the logic here, anybody that has cats(me) or dogs shouldn't have chameleons. I disagree with telling someone they can't have x because they have y given that their are separate rooms. As long as proper precautions are put in place, it'll be fine. My chameleon lives in our small side room with the door shut, and he is on a permenant free range. I'm confident I won't let my cats murder him.

So by the logic here, anybody that has cats(me) or dogs shouldn't have chameleons. I disagree with telling someone they can't have x because they have y given that their are separate rooms. As long as proper precautions are put in place, it'll be fine. My chameleon lives in our small side room with the door shut, and he is on a permenant free range. I'm confident I won't let my cats murder him.
I was thinking exactly the same thing ....if you can't have a bird then you can't have a cat! I used to babysit my daughter's dogs and I just kept them out of the reptile rooms. Never had a problem.

Great way to put it. 👍🏻

I think the lesson is probably caution. I don’t love the idea of a bird and Chams, but probably can be done if they’re separated. Just be prepared that accidents can and will happen

we had a hamster that slipped under a door and was immediately apprehended by one of our dogs. Fortunately I opened up DocZ Memorial Hamster Shock Trauma Hospital and the little guy pulled through. (I was googling “normal hamster vital signs” it was a mess).

life’s about understanding, accepting, and mitigating risk

I think the lesson is probably caution. I don’t love the idea of a bird and Chams, but probably can be done if they’re separated. Just be prepared that accidents can and will happen

we had a hamster that slipped under a door and was immediately apprehended by one of our dogs. Fortunately I opened up DocZ Memorial Hamster Shock Trauma Hospital and the little guy pulled through. (I was googling “normal hamster vital signs” it was a mess).

life’s about understanding, acceptI got, and mitigating risk
Exactly - use caution. :)

Ok so wait... LOL can people not be responsible when having multiple types of animals? Why is it an automatic No? I mean logic here would be you never have them out at the same time and you ensure the bird is secured in a cage when your not home along with the chameleon being secured in its cage. Put the cages in separate rooms to reduce stress to the cham. Just use the good sense god gave you and be smart about it.

Now I think the better question is why would the OP want a sun conure lol. They are soooooo loud... :hilarious:

I didnt take time to read most of the comments, so if I repeat something, I apologize.
I have a parakeet, which is slightly smaller than a conjure, but he doesnt bother the chameleons at all. My bird has his own perches and his own playground, and my chameleons have a free range that is on the other side of the room. They dont mingle. It is safe, and my tiny little bird doesnt try to attack my lizard. The thing I worry about the most is if my chameleon will try to shoot at my bird. I have seen some terrifying videos about chameleons eating small birds.
Just dont hold them both on the same arm. Lol. I dont think it is that big of a deal.

Last edited:
Ok so wait... LOL can people not be responsible when having multiple types of animals? Why is it an automatic No? I mean logic here would be you never have them out at the same time and you ensure the bird is secured in a cage when your not home along with the chameleon being secured in its cage. Put the cages in separate rooms to reduce stress to the cham. Just use the good sense god gave you and be smart about it.

Now I think the better question is why would the OP want a sun conure lol. They are soooooo loud... :hilarious:
I don’t think that it’s necessarily an automatic No. I do think birds pose a much different set of risks than a dog.
My Dogs don’t even know my Chams exist, the Chams are well aware, but the dogs are clueless

Back
Top Bottom