I need help

Kingenemy805

I recently had an ant invasion in my chameleon enclosure so I'm gonna throw my live plants away i have in there which is a ficus and a umbrella plant and then i got some soil from petco to keep the humidity up but im pretty sure there is probally an ant colony in there now...so im gonna start fresh what other plants would you guys recommend? And is there anything i can do to stop the ants?

I recently had an ant invasion in my chameleon enclosure so I'm gonna throw my live plants away i have in there which is a ficus and a umbrella plant and then i got some soil from petco to keep the humidity up but im pretty sure there is probally an ant colony in there now...so im gonna start fresh what other plants would you guys recommend? And is there anything i can do to stop the ants?

Are you using the soil as substrate?

That could be a part of your problem. Pests and bacteria can thrive in loose substrate. I would imagine ants would love it too. I would recommend doing away with that.

Just curious, did someone from Petco advise you to get the soil for the humidity?

Do you see ants anywhere else in your house, or just in your enclosure?

That could be a part of your problem. Pests and bacteria can thrive in loose substrate. I would imagine ants would love it too. I would recommend doing away with that.

Just curious, did someone from Petco advise you to get the soil for the humidity?

Do you see ants anywhere else in your house, or just in your enclosure?

Yeah someone from petco said it would be good for the humidity.

There's some ants here and there around the kitchen cause of the heat cause normally we never have ants until this summer.

what does your enclosure look like?

Okay, just asking because they said that to me too :)

I bought the stuff, used it for a week, and it was so freaking messy! Now I use a reptile carpet and wash that weekly with vinegar and baking soda. I know most people use no substrate, but I haven’t set up a drainage system yet.

You could clean the bottom of your enclosure with a vinegar solution to get all the dirt and debris out, and vinegar also helps repel ants.

I have ant issues in my home in the summer too. I bought some liquid ant traps from Lowe’s and have them in different areas of my apartment. They have helped ALOT.

I attached a picture here of my enclosure. You’ll notice the bowl in the back - that gets dumped and wiped out nightly. It’s used to catch the water from my dripper system for the time being.

Attachments

• AAC0B9DF-6643-4A2C-A066-00700E74A178.jpeg
    AAC0B9DF-6643-4A2C-A066-00700E74A178.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 173

I bought the stuff, used it for a week, and it was so freaking messy! Now I use a reptile carpet and wash that weekly with vinegar and baking soda. I know most people use no substrate, but I haven’t set up a drainage system yet.

You could clean the bottom of your enclosure with a vinegar solution to get all the dirt and debris out, and vinegar also helps repel ants.

I have ant issues in my home in the summer too. I bought some liquid ant traps from Lowe’s and have them in different areas of my apartment. They have helped ALOT.

I attached a picture here of my enclosure. You’ll notice the bowl in the back - that gets dumped and wiped out nightly. It’s used to catch the water from my dripper system for the time being.
How does your Cham like the ropes? I’ve thought about using it several times but always figured it would be too unstable in a horizontal position...

Liquid tera ant traps are the best, look into them.

As for the above, I can bet Petco sold you something stupid and I wouldn't waste my time listening to any of their employees, but with that said the above poster is wrong about substrate in general. Substrate is very beneficial if set up correctly. I use substrate in all of my enclosures. Bacteria does thrive in soil, the beneficial aerobic type that is harmless and outcompetes potentially dangerous bactera(the kind that pops up in sterile environments, like barebottom enclosures). The ants are likely drawn to aphid(plant pests) tar on your live plants, or some other food/water in the enclosure. Ants love the aphid tar.

Also repticarpet would be like a sponge for waste and bacteria. Would not ever recommend using it.

Nice setup what kind of plant is that?
Will vinegar harm my chameleon?

Liquid tera ant traps are the best, look into them.

As for the above, I can bet Petco sold you something stupid and I wouldn't waste my time listening to any of their employees, but with that said the above poster is wrong about substrate in general. Substrate is very beneficial if set up correctly. I use substrate in all of my enclosures. Bacteria does thrive in soil, the beneficial aerobic type that is harmless and outcompetes potentially dangerous bactera(the kind that pops up in sterile environments, like barebottom enclosures). The ants are likely drawn to aphid(plant pests) tar on your live plants, or some other food/water in the enclosure. Ants love the aphid tar.

Also repticarpet would be like a sponge for waste and bacteria. Would not ever recommend using it.

What does your setup look like?

First 2 pics are my one Panthers enclosure, second 2 pics are my Parsons enclosure

Attachments

• 20180731_175216.jpg
    20180731_175216.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 20180731_175232.jpg
    20180731_175232.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 20180731_174306.jpg
    20180731_174306.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 20180731_174346.jpg
    20180731_174346.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 178
My Cham LOVES the ropes! I have them secured using picture wire.

Reptile carpet for me is a temporary solution, and it gets cleaned weekly. I’m sure substrate can work, but not with my current setup.

The plant is a money tree!

And in regards to vinegar, if you dilute it in water it should be okay. I would let my Cham out, clean the bottom, and put him back in when dry.

My Cham LOVES the ropes! I have them secured using picture wire.

Reptile carpet for me is a temporary solution, and it gets cleaned weekly. I’m sure substrate can work, but not with my current setup.

The plant is a money tree!

And in regards to vinegar, if you dilute it in water it should be okay. I would let my Cham out, clean the bottom, and put him back in when dry.
How big is your veiled? No problems with her getting her nails stuck in the threads?

Back
Top Bottom