I need help with meal worms please

So I went to petco and bought my chameleon and we bought worms and I was wondering how to keep them alive? I have a cricket keeper Thingy and I put he worms in there and I have fluckers orange cubes... Will that keep them alive? Oh and I can't tell if my chameleon is hungry :/

If they are mealworms, you keep them in the plastic cup you bought them in with the shavings and keep them in the fridge. If they are superworms, you keep them in the same cup but out in room temperature.

You can't really tell if they are hungry... sometimes mine seems to be "hunting" for bugs by the front of her cage where it opens...
Either way I would present the food to the chameleon and if he eats, hes hungry...

Keep in a plastic or glass container, with wheat bran or oats mixed with your dry gutload mix (for example this one) as a substrate, put pieces of carrot, dandelion greens, small pieces of orange and similar on top of the substrate (this will act as their water source). Do not let the substrate get damp, or you will get mold and mites.

I recommend you keep the use of mealworms to 20% or less of your chameleons diet.

More info re mealworms:
http://www.sialis.org/raisingmealworms.htm
http://chameleonnews.com/03OctWells.html

How old is your chameleon? if its younger than 6 months, you can feed him as much as he will eat within 5 minutes three or four times a day. If 6-12 months, feed around 10 bugs per day. As adults, around 5 per day.

If they are mealworms, you keep them in the plastic cup you bought them in with the shavings and keep them in the fridge. If they are superworms, you keep them in the same cup but out in room temperature.

You can't really tell if they are hungry... sometimes mine seems to be "hunting" for bugs by the front of her cage where it opens...
Either way I would present the food to the chameleon and if he eats, hes hungry...

Oh crap so I have to keep them in the plastic cup with shavings??? OMG can I still put the orange cubes??

Its better, less of a hassel to keep them in the cup... You can keep the mealworms in the fridge to make them last a month or so...

And yes... i would cut a cube or 2 into 4 pieces them place at the top of the container... although you will need to take them out after a day or so, so nothing gets moldy...

Yes I did. I bought rep cal vitamins and the repcal with d3 but I don't know how much to use of each

there is lots of good care info on this site, I'd sugest doing some reading (search both the forums and blogs)

the short answer to the supplement question. most recomend calcium with out D3 every feeding (except) 2x a month calcium with D3 and 2x a month multi vitamin (like herpitvite or reptivite)

also make sure your gutloading your feeders well, with real veggies, fruits, nuts, grains (look up the best veggies and fruits).

Back
Top Bottom