I need help deciding on a uvb and basking spot lamp, please help!!!!

Rinnegannagato

Hi, Im going to be getting a baby/juvenile veiled chameleon but before I get him I want to have everything set up before he arrives. So hence my question, what UVB and Basking Spot bulbs can I use for a 16x16x30 ( 41x41x76cm) cage. Please help, I'm confused on all of the bulb stuff. Also, please recommend some bulb fixtures. Compact bulbs would be a little better but if you recommend a linear bulb, it will still be appreciated. Thankyou very much! Also, what humidity meter is good to use? & will I need a night time heat bulb? Also one last thing, where can I buy a zoomed
reptirain that's cheap?

Hi, Im going to be getting a baby/juvenile veiled chameleon but before I get him I want to have everything set up before he arrives. So hence my question, what UVB and Basking Spot bulbs can I use for a 16x16x30 ( 41x41x76cm) cage. Please help, I'm confused on all of the bulb stuff. Also, please recommend some bulb fixtures. Compact bulbs would be a little better but if you recommend a linear bulb, it will still be appreciated. Thankyou very much! Also, what humidity meter is good to use? & will I need a night time heat bulb? Also one last thing, where can I buy a zoomed
reptirain that's cheap?

Temperature:
-Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking spot 85F (29C). I think juveniles do better with a lower wattage basking bulb, like a 60watt. After a while you will eventually switch to 75watt bulbs. I suggest using regular size ceramic domes for basking spots because what i have noticed when i tried a compact fixture it concentrated the heat too much in one spot and my chameleon was constantly opening his mouth because it was a little too hot. You dont want to risk them getting a burn.
-No night time bulb needed, they are used to a drop in temps at night, as long as it doesn't get below 50 degrees, you're good.
*For UVB, i suggest the zoomed reptisun 5.0 linear.
*Humidity should be kept between 40 and 70%, i suggest a digital hygrometer. To keep the basking spot temperature in the right range the best thing you can use is the infrared laser thermometer.

I pretty much go zoo med with all light fixtures and bulbs but there are other good options like arcadia.

also, when you say reptirain, do you mean the misting system? I hand mist my dudes plants 4 times a day and leave a dripper on low and it works fine but if you dont have time to hand mist i have heard the mistking is good. hopefully someone who has experience using automatic misting systems will chime in here!

Temperature:
-Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking spot 85F (29C). I think juveniles do better with a lower wattage basking bulb, like a 60watt. After a while you will eventually switch to 75watt bulbs. I suggest using regular size ceramic domes for basking spots because what i have noticed when i tried a compact fixture it concentrated the heat too much in one spot and my chameleon was constantly opening his mouth because it was a little too hot. You dont want to risk them getting a burn.
-No night time bulb needed, they are used to a drop in temps at night, as long as it doesn't get below 50 degrees, you're good.
*For UVB, i suggest the zoomed reptisun 5.0 linear.
*Humidity should be kept between 40 and 70%, i suggest a digital hygrometer. To keep the basking spot temperature in the right range the best thing you can use is the infrared laser thermometer
I pretty much go zoo med with all light fixtures and bulbs but there are other good options like arcadia.

Thankyou!

Get a MistKing system. Excellent product, excellent customer service. Well worth the peace of mind when, like most of us, working away from the house. Not everyone cant be home to hand mist. Automated to the second, mistking products are top notch.

Get a MistKing system. Excellent product, excellent customer service. Well worth the peace of mind when, like most of us, working away from the house. Not everyone cant be home to hand mist. Automated to the second, mistking products are top notch.

100%. Best Decision I ever made was investing in it. It works like a champ and I don't have to worry about anything.

Back
Top Bottom