I need help asap

Deshaun

I am about 99% sure my chameleon(veiled)has a uri and I have orders beytril and I even payed $10 more for 3 day shipping and I ordered it 4 days ago and it is not set to be delivered Until Tuesday (3 more days) and my chameleon (rango) is getting very bad. If I hold him he sticks his hands in the air and gasps, wobble’s back and forth, then just completely falls off my hand. I got him from Petco on September 20 but I am unsure of his age. He weighs 15 grams if that helps any. But I was really wondering what I could do to try and help him or ease his pain until the beytril comes in. I am very worried for him. Pls help !

I really don’t think I have the money for a veg. Would anyone k ow a ball park range of what it would cost ?

It would cost about $65 to bring him in for an appointment and then you will probably need antibiotics are around $100 so would probably be needing $200-$300.

I don’t have that much to spear but I have already bought Baytril and I just need some small “remedies” to help him until it gets here

I don’t have that much to spear but I have already bought Baytril and I just need some small “remedies” to help him until it gets here
These guys are really sensitive creatures and I'm not sure any "remedies" will help if he has a URI. Do you know how much baytril to dose? I ask because I do not. Once on the baytril make sure to keep him hydrated. Hopefully someone with experience with URI can hop on and give some advice. A husbandry review may be helpful too.

Yes I talked to someone about dosing and I am pretty comfortable with dosing him but I really just want to make sure he makes it will I get the Baytril

F67F2E8F-F96F-4655-BF49-839DB95A2C30.jpeg
4D32090D-2D71-4A91-BB26-11F9B017B33E.jpeg
36622673-1232-48CB-B66B-850615B19E7E.jpeg
84492009-8D2E-4B0A-AF7D-5E59D4A4B4A3.jpeg
86E4F9AE-7AE8-4DFA-87BC-E475EE227FD5.jpeg

Does he only act like that (wobbling, standing, gaping) when you hold him?
Is his mouth shut when you're not near him and he's in the cage?

All night long I can hear him gasping and he is always sitting in his cage upright and yes he still opens his mouth in his cage. I moved him to his smaller cage because it has glass side walls and I read that heat helps and I figured it would retain heat better

Cant see size of your enclosure but as it is glass you might need to add fans to increase aeration, stagnant air is thought to be biggest cause of ri. Also try wiping your plastic plants with a white cloth to see if you have pink residue forming especially ones you spray most. if any is found deep clean them & rinse before returning them, try to change to real plants they increase humidity.
& You probably already know but baytril is very hard on chameleons, its a broad spectrum anti-biotic that can come in many concentrations please be careful. I would fill in a husbandry form (prevent another ri should your Cham recover) & try to get to the vets if you can 🤞

His normal enclosure is fully mesh and is much larger and has real plants in it and I will Definitely try and wipe the fake ones down but where could I find the husbandry form ?

Its in the sticky's at top of the health threads here is a copy of it:

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

AFAIK, Baytril is sold by prescription only. Without $ for a vet, is that possible? :unsure:

ICBW, but does this cham look malnourished? :unsure:

I really don’t think I have the money for a veg. Would anyone k ow a ball park range of what it would cost ?
You can always call a vet and ask.

Back
Top Bottom