I need help šŸ˜­šŸ˜­ thereā€™s a bump on his leg.

You got this! I've been there feeling sad and all that about my cham thinking I've done everything wrong but it gets better, don't beat yourself up and talk to someone to feel better, at least that works for me.
Ya I was at the vetā€™s and going to do a follow up appointment as well. But ya I cried so much today and thought I was a horrible reptile mom because he got injured somehow. For now heā€™s still walking on it and is taking pain meds to tie him over. Plus he has so much energy so for now heā€™s a strong reptile. I feel like in his mind he wants to fight through this but I just need to 100% make sure I need to fix it and make sure he can be comfortable and in less pain. Plus heā€™s been eating and drinking and moving alot so thatā€™s a good sign. It shows me that he doesnā€™t want to give up and die and wants to help me help him.

You have a good plan and unless he is showing other symptoms which you already said he doesn't have he should remain stable and have his vet visit. Try to remain calm until you know more. I know how hard that is to do.
There are treatments for a variety of possibilities. If your vet isn't familiar we can probably find you one that is. Rather than panic spend some time learning about gout, arthritis and abscess in chameleons and reptiles. You will be better able to make informed decisions with your veterinarian. This is just to keep your mind busy and focused. If it will panic you more skip this step.
There is a medication that can help with gout, allopurinol. There are also good anti-inflammatory medications for any pain and several antibiotics in the case of an abscess. You and your vet can discuss what ever is necessary at your appointment. You caught this early you are on the right track.
Ya heā€™s on pain meds and antibiotics for his pain/inflammatory which today I tried my best to put it in his mouth but Iā€™m sure it will become a routine and I will get better. Ya his ultrasound was good but his X-ray wasnā€™t ._. So I will try to research what it is and Iā€™m going to do a follow up since thereā€™s this one guy who will take a blood test and is cheaper. The one vet who deals with chameleons for 10 years doesnā€™t think itā€™s MBD so who knows what his X-ray is, it looks like a bone or infection but a blood test would make sure what that is. So I will call tomorrow and see whatā€™s the estimate price to make sure I have enough and make an appointment for the follow up. I know heā€™s very stable and I know heā€™s also very strong. Iā€™m still blown away that even though heā€™s injured, heā€™s still willing to climb and walk on it. So it gives me hope in a way and admire him because hereā€™s me crying all day and night because heā€™s in pain and injured while heā€™s over here looking at me and started to be like ā€œHey mom, look at what I can do.ā€ Type of mentality with him willing to keep doing his normal routine. So I made sure to put him in a smaller enclosure so during the day that if he falls then there wonā€™t be a huge impact and I make sure to let him sleep on a pillow in my bed so he can relax his joints and not gripping on the branches. I just hope with the follow up appointment I know what is happening and hopefully it can be fixed. Because heā€™s still eating and drinking and overall healthy by the vets perspective except for his leg.

Youā€™re doing just fine. :) I agree with you that it does look to likely be gout or other arthritic problem. Of course only a good vet experienced with chameleons will be able to say for sure. @Sherideancupcake I know too well the anxiety of having something wrong with one of your critter babies. Easier said than done, but try to relaxā€¦it does not appear to be anything life threatening. That your fella has reached the age of being a distinguished senior speaks volumes for your quality of care.
Ya but he doesnā€™t act like a senior which is a good sign. He still has energy even with his bad leg. Heā€™s eating a lot and drinking. I just want him to live an extra year or 2 like his yearly vet will always say because heā€™s so healthy. Even the vets today said heā€™s so healthy except for his leg. His ultrasound was fine but his X-ray wasnā€™t. So Iā€™m doing a follow up for blood work. Rn heā€™s on pain meds and antibiotics to help with the swelling and hopefully help the injury until I set him up for an appointment. One vet says it might not be MBD since he dealt with chameleons for 10 years but the follow up will give me a good idea. So pain meds will help and him having the energy and him being a strong boy just gives me hope for him. This morning he was walking up, down, did a flip, went all the way down, all the way up, tried to climb on small vines. Iā€™m shocked by his energy and shows heā€™s so strong.

You said..."Ya his ultrasound was good but his X-ray wasnā€™t"... What did the vet say about the X-ray? How was it not good?

You said..."Ya his ultrasound was good but his X-ray wasnā€™t"... What did the vet say about the X-ray? How was it not good?
Thereā€™s some sort of fractures. They donā€™t know what is the cause of it until I get blood work and mass sampling. Wednesday the vet will be in so hopefully by then I can take him to the vet and get more info

Ya I was at the vetā€™s and going to do a follow up appointment as well. But ya I cried so much today and thought I was a horrible reptile mom because he got injured somehow. For now heā€™s still walking on it and is taking pain meds to tie him over. Plus he has so much energy so for now heā€™s a strong reptile. I feel like in his mind he wants to fight through this but I just need to 100% make sure I need to fix it and make sure he can be comfortable and in less pain. Plus heā€™s been eating and drinking and moving alot so thatā€™s a good sign. It shows me that he doesnā€™t want to give up and die and wants to help me help him.
Oh for sure I have complete confidence he will make it especially with someone like you taking care of him! I've been there and its scary but just remind yourself you've kept him alive this long and trust your judgement with support of our fine fine friends on these beautiful forums!

Oh for sure I have complete confidence he will make it especially with someone like you taking care of him! I've been there and its scary but just remind yourself you've kept him alive this long and trust your judgement with support of our fine fine friends on these beautiful forums!
Thank u! I think since I bought him new vitamins during summer maybe thatā€™s what also caused it without me meaning to harm him. Even though I just noticed the bump this week, so I think Iā€™m going to go to the vet and do an examination with an exotic, give them my X-rays from the old vet and then get a blood work done to 100% make sure itā€™s not MBD and if it is, it can be fixed with meds and a splint. I feel like maybe it is my fault because of the new vitamins but the first vet said itā€™s not MBD but now Iā€™m overthinking maybe it is and they missed it because they didnā€™t have blood test for reptiles. As long as he can be healed and be back to normal then I can rest normally

Thank u! I think since I bought him new vitamins during summer maybe thatā€™s what also caused it without me meaning to harm him. Even though I just noticed the bump this week, so I think Iā€™m going to go to the vet and do an examination with an exotic, give them my X-rays from the old vet and then get a blood work done to 100% make sure itā€™s not MBD and if it is, it can be fixed with meds and a splint. I feel like maybe it is my fault because of the new vitamins but the first vet said itā€™s not MBD but now Iā€™m overthinking maybe it is and they missed it because they didnā€™t have blood test for reptiles. As long as he can be healed and be back to normal then I can rest normally
I can totally relate my cham has a vitamin a problem and is currently producing excess keratin and pushing it out of his eye turrets, I know weird. This made me so sad and mad and I felt like everything I have ever done was for nothing and that I was a failure but I realized that the battle is in your mind so instead of running away from my problems through temporary satisfaction activities like video games and social media I sat and thought. And I eventually found the root of my problem and fixed it, this feeling comes back every once in a while so I have to keep fighting it. But it will get better

I can totally relate my cham has a vitamin a problem and is currently producing excess keratin and pushing it out of his eye turrets, I know weird. This made me so sad and mad and I felt like everything I have ever done was for nothing and that I was a failure but I realized that the battle is in your mind so instead of running away from my problems through temporary satisfaction activities like video games and social media I sat and thought. And I eventually found the root of my problem and fixed it, this feeling comes back every once in a while so I have to keep fighting it. But it will get better
Oh that sucks ._. Iā€™m sorry you are going through that. But ya itā€™s what Iā€™m feeling rn thinking itā€™s my fault or something so I know how you feel. I hope it gets better, I just want him to get better and live longer.

You said..." I make sure to let him sleep on a pillow in my bed so he can relax his joints and not gripping on the branches"...IMHO, he should be in his cage at night...not on a pillow in your bed.

You said..." I make sure to let him sleep on a pillow in my bed so he can relax his joints and not gripping on the branches"...IMHO, he should be in his cage at night...not on a pillow in your bed.
Itā€™s to help relax his joints because I donā€™t want him to accidentally fall when Iā€™m asleep and hurt himself. With the pillow at least I know heā€™s safe plus my room is always in the right temperature for him. Itā€™s not like I do it all the time, itā€™s just to make him rest his joints for now.

And how is there no danger if you rolling over and squashing him or knocking him off the pillow?
Why not put a towel in his cage and place him on the towel?

And how is there no danger if you rolling over and squashing him or knocking him off the pillow?
Why not put a towel in his cage and place him on the towel?
Because I have a seperate pillow and I put my head below and away from him. Iā€™m also a light sleeper. I tried to put him on a towel and he just rather be climbing off of it but once I put him on the pillow he would finally relax. I have him for 5 years and also used to help take care of my momā€™s bearded dragon and I used to cuddle and he would have troubles falling asleep, so I put him on a pillow and let him sleep near me and he didnā€™t die from me because Iā€™m a light sleeper.

In wonder if this isn't how his leg ended up with the bump on the knee and fractured bones. He might have twisted it if you bumped him and he held on with the one foot. I personally wouldn't risk it.

In other post said his grip was fine. Also said he acts normal. So why you changing cages. In no way is your bed safe. Do you mind if I ask how old you are.

In other post said his grip was fine. Also said he acts normal. So why you changing cages. In no way is your bed safe. Do you mind if I ask how old you are.
Ya but the vet told me just in case to put him in a smaller cage for safety. I know his grip is fine and he acts normal but I also want him to not put pressure on it so it can at least heal a bit until the follow up. My bed is safe plus Iā€™m monitoring him since heā€™s getting used to his pain meds. Iā€™m 25, I have him for 5 years.

Well if 25 should knw better then to sleep with your cham. It's not a dog or cat. It's a reptile meaning he should be where it's safe. My cham likes it outside don't mean I take him for bike rides

Back
Top Bottom