I need help 😭😭 there’s a bump on his leg.

Hello! I have a veiled chameleon who is 5 years old. I just noticed today he has a bump on his leg 😭😭 I can’t call or go to vets until Monday because right now they are closed. It could be MBD or Gout idk 🤷🏻‍♀️ he still eats, sleeps, drink water, moves etc. I’m just worried that he might die on me and that terrifies me because I’m scared of death. I take him to the vets yearly for a check up and my vet always said he’s healthy so now he has this stupid bump and I’m worried AF. His temps and lighting are fine, I feed him crickets and make sure he gets enough calcium or vitamins. I’m so worried and been crying for 2 hours. 😭😭 I just hope I’m not a bad reptile parent because I really truly love him and try my best with him. But I feel like I failed because of this bump.

Attachments

• E3706449-3A1D-4862-A42B-33894AF0D27F.jpeg
    E3706449-3A1D-4862-A42B-33894AF0D27F.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 5E86AAD7-DE68-47F4-88FC-8057E31A02F6.jpeg
    5E86AAD7-DE68-47F4-88FC-8057E31A02F6.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 77
Hello i am so sorry you are going throuGh this. We love our babies and dont want to see them hurting. 5 years is a long time to care for a veiled and to get good annual chevk ups. Dont worry monday is just a few days away. I dont think mbd but gout is a possibility. Older veeileds tends to be an izsue. And gout is painful. Also check for a puncture in the area as it could be an abcess. the big thing is not to stress him out at this time but you may have to alter his cage if he is unsteady and cant hold on. Also have you changed your uvb every year? That is a must. Please post a few more pics of the leg, as the foot looks weird but it may just be the pic. And pics of his cage please. Btw he is a gorgeous handsome fellow. Oh stop crying as they can pick up on your stress. You neefd to be the syring in charge parent right now!

Hello i am so sorry you are going throuGh this. We love our babies and dont want to see them hurting. 5 years is a long time to care for a veiled and to get good annual chevk ups. Dont worry monday is just a few days away. I dont think mbd but gout is a possibility. Older veeileds tends to be an izsue. And gout is painful. Also check for a puncture in the area as it could be an abcess. the big thing is not to stress him out at this time but you may have to alter his cage if he is unsteady and cant hold on. Also have you changed your uvb every year? That is a must. Please post a few more pics of the leg, as the foot looks weird but it may just be the pic. And pics of his cage please. Btw he is a gorgeous handsome fellow. Oh stop crying as they can pick up on your stress. You neefd to be the syring in charge parent right now!
Thanks. I’m so scared and I’m trying to not spend time with him in the bedroom and been in the living room and only go in for water mist or bed time. Because I don’t want to stress him. I found a vet care that my roommate can take me tomorrow. I’m so so worried. There’s no punctures just looks big. Idk how I didn’t notice it because I always take him out and I never seen it until I came home from Starbucks. Ya he gets his bulbs replaced every 6 months. I will take pics. All I know is that he seems happy but I don’t even think he knows what pain is.

Thanks. I’m so scared and I’m trying to not spend time with him in the bedroom and been in the living room and only go in for water mist or bed time. Because I don’t want to stress him. I found a vet care that my roommate can take me tomorrow. I’m so so worried. There’s no punctures just looks big. Idk how I didn’t notice it because I always take him out and I never seen it until I came home from Starbucks. Ya he gets his bulbs replaced every 6 months. I will take pics. All I know is that he seems happy but I don’t even think he knows what pain is.

Attachments

• 3F080BFD-9636-464B-9F56-B3A272EB3314.jpeg
    3F080BFD-9636-464B-9F56-B3A272EB3314.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 03BCDB38-F586-4618-923B-DC80464C6395.jpeg
    03BCDB38-F586-4618-923B-DC80464C6395.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 65
Is the grasp of the foot strong?
Ya he’s been grasping fine. He hasn’t fallen and can climb up and down. Tonight I will take him out and put him somewhere to relax his joints. He can go on my head with no problem and can climb on a curtain etc. like he can grasp good. So idk why there’s a bump

I had to get a plant light by sansi as i had the same probkem. I like swiss cheese plants. The leaves are big and stalks strong. i have a pathos as well. Heres a pic

Attachments

• IMG_20220910_194108.jpg
    IMG_20220910_194108.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20220907_223904.jpg
    IMG_20220907_223904.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 62
One is with the plant light on there are great cham safe plant lists. Online. As long as that swiis is up near that plant light i have not lost a leaf and have new growth. the plants keep my humidity at 50% and i run a fogger at night on low. I hand mist during the day. Do you feed anything other than crickets to your boy?

Oh stop! He will stay a live. I take it you have him out of the cage a lot? being five, it might be arthiris too. Looks like the knee joint. I know what i do for my arthritus and gout, but i dont think it will work for him. Lol. Getting old sucks!

I like that he is bending the knee that may mean no breaks or disclocations. when u see the vet, ask if heat or cold may help. Also antiinflamatory. There is meducation for humans for gout if it is gout. Not sure they have it for chams. Go to the search bar on here and put in gout and see what others have gone through.

I am sorry more membets arent chiminh in, but on the weekends members arent here a lot. There is a lot of knowledge at this sight. And please keep me informed about your precious boy.
You’re doing just fine. :) I agree with you that it does look to likely be gout or other arthritic problem. Of course only a good vet experienced with chameleons will be able to say for sure. @Sherideancupcake I know too well the anxiety of having something wrong with one of your critter babies. Easier said than done, but try to relax…it does not appear to be anything life threatening. That your fella has reached the age of being a distinguished senior speaks volumes for your quality of care.

You have a good plan and unless he is showing other symptoms which you already said he doesn't have he should remain stable and have his vet visit. Try to remain calm until you know more. I know how hard that is to do.
There are treatments for a variety of possibilities. If your vet isn't familiar we can probably find you one that is. Rather than panic spend some time learning about gout, arthritis and abscess in chameleons and reptiles. You will be better able to make informed decisions with your veterinarian. This is just to keep your mind busy and focused. If it will panic you more skip this step.
There is a medication that can help with gout, allopurinol. There are also good anti-inflammatory medications for any pain and several antibiotics in the case of an abscess. You and your vet can discuss what ever is necessary at your appointment. You caught this early you are on the right track.

Hello sheri. How is that handsome boy of yours doing today? When you have an update please share. The more details about your vet visit the better so we can all learn. sending prayers and healing energy your way.

Hello sheri. How is that handsome boy of yours doing today? When you have an update please share. The more details about your vet visit the better so we can all learn. sending prayers and healing energy your way.
I was at the vet’s all day. Did the ultrasound and it was fine but the X-ray wasn’t good ._. It looks like a fracture or something we don’t know so now I have to do a follow up and get blood test done and possibly changed meds. Rn I got him on 2 meds for the inflammation and the pain. They gave him many compliments like how calm, chill, stable, friendly etc. The one vet who deals with chameleons for 10 years said it doesn’t look to be MBD so it could be something else but the follow up would give me more idea. So I transferred him to a smaller enclosure so he won’t fall and I’m letting him sleep in the same bed with his own pillow so his joints can relax. I cried so much today 😭😭 I’m struggling fiancially and have to do stuff for extra money just so I can fix him. He seems to be in a good mood & healthy, but the leg is the problem but he is such a strong boy he keeps climbing with it and I’m thinking if he’s 100% in pain he wouldn’t even bother using that leg. The main thing is he’s eating, drinking/hydrated etc.

Back
Top Bottom