I must be crazy...

Prism Chameleons

Established Member
Hi all,

I just purchased: 1.2 Chameleo T. Wiedersheimi (1 gravid) Peacock Chameleons, 2.2 Rhampholeon Nchisiensis (Yellow Leaf Chameleons), 1.0 Bradypodion fischeri (Fischer's Chameleon), and 1.0 1 week old Sunburst Veiled Chameleon. :eek:

They are SOOOOOOO cute.... I will share photos asap. I will keep them as pets, learn their husbandry, and perhaps add them later to the Prism Chameleon Breeders. Who knows? I just think they are adorable though and couldn't resist. Besides, I love chameleons and since I'm already an advanced owner/breeder of panthers, I get to learn something new now too!

Photos to follow soon!

Am I nuts?!?!?!?! :D

you are nuts. You have chameleons. Like .00000001 percent of people on the planet have chams......we're all nuts.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe......Chamaeleo Trioceros wiedersheimi....Really cool little montane species.

Jenna, you have done the right thing in buying your first Fischer chameleon. My absolute favourites without a doubt. My first ever chameleon was a Fischer and his personality was a one off, he was brilliant and he is very much missed:)

Noah,

You're right they're Chamaeleo Trioceros wiedersheimi . I posted a pic of a Juvenile one on the photo gallery here. I have about 8 clutches from them and I must say they're one of my favorites.

Isn't that the type of cham that is in Dr. Doolittle?

When I first became interested in chams...and started looking at pictures on the web...I thought the Chamaeleo Trioceros wiedersheimi was the absolute cutest. They are one of the hardest to care for right? That's why I steered away from it as my first cham. Before I had seen pictures of the many different chams, that is what I pictured in my mind. It almost looks like a baby even after it's all grown up. Or am I thinking of the wrong species. Wasn't that the one that couldn't change his colors in Dr. Doolittle.

Hey, have you guys seen the previews for that new animated film "The Wild"?
I thought I saw 2 chams smacking each other with their tongues! Too Funny!
Tara

Last edited:
Chamaeleo Trioceros wiedersheimi

Here are some pictures of my new male Chamaeleo Trioceros wiedersheimi (Peackock Chameleon - common name):

Chamaeleo%20Trioceros%20wiedersheimi.jpg

One More!

Chamaeleo%20Trioceros%20wiedersheimi1.jpg

Photos below of my new Bradypodion fischeri (Fischer's Chameleon):

Fischer.jpg

One More!

Fischer1.jpg

Photos of Rhampholeon nchisiensis (yellow/blue eyes):

Leaf.jpg

He's all dirty from playing in the dirt :D :

Leaf1.jpg

At lastly, my new 1 week old veiled sunburst chameleon!

Veiled.jpg

What a baby doll :p

Veiled1.jpg

Hope you like the new family members of Prism Chameleons & Jenna! :)

Nice! How big does the Peacock cham get? Love the little Veiled, his eyes are almost as big as his head lol. Also like the Fischer!

You have some beautiful new additions!

Aren't they pretty? They live in the montane regions of Cameroon and Nigeria and like cooler temperatures and a lot of humidity as there is quite a bit of rainfall there. No basking light is needed for these types of chameleons; only a UVB bulb. The males typically get 5-7 inches and females a bit smaller. I have a gravid one now ready to lay eggs any time now :). I just love their turquoise peacock colored heads. The females have this coloration on their dorsal crest as well.

Sigh... I'm in love :eek: .

They are all beautiful, Jenna. I really, really want some of the wiedersheimi, but I am afraid that is going to have to wait. I just bought more r.brevs to add to my group, since rumor has it that Tanzania is closing down chameleon export.

Heika

Heika,

Tanzania is releasing 2006 quota starting tomorrow. I live in S. Florida and many friends of mine are importers here. I know for sure that it's opening tomorrow and many loads from the new quota are going to be coming in the next month. I have the opportunity to cherry pick through the loads if you're ever interested in getting something just let me know and I'd be happy to help you or anyone looking for any type of chameleon that are legal to bring in. I have many veileds and panthers, but my real passion is the other species that many people aren't producing. I have 51 clutches of many various types of chameleons.

FL Chams said:
Heika,

Tanzania is releasing 2006 quota starting tomorrow. I live in S. Florida and many friends of mine are importers here. I know for sure that it's opening tomorrow and many loads from the new quota are going to be coming in the next month. I have the opportunity to cherry pick through the loads if you're ever interested in getting something just let me know and I'd be happy to help you or anyone looking for any type of chameleon that are legal to bring in. I have many veileds and panthers, but my real passion is the other species that many people aren't producing. I have 51 clutches of many various types of chameleons.

I am glad to hear that Tanzania is staying open. That news hasn't reached all the forums yet, can I ask who you heard it from?

I will definately keep you in mind when I start looking for a pair of wiedersheimi, because the ones Jenna has are absolutely beautiful!

And.. you have those brookesia... :D

Heika

Jenna,

Your male wiedersheimi appears to be a Ch. (T.) wiedersheimi perreti to be exact. If you post photos of the females, I can tell you which they are as well. Also, don't be so quick to not give them a basking spot. They aren't always needed but I've found that mine will use them. Very few people have had any significant success with this species as they are exceptionally shy, stress very easily and seem to be unforgiving of much mistake. Some of the most experienced keepers simply can't get this species to thrive long term under their care so I really wish you the best of luck (definitely a species I'd classify as expert level and extremely different than a Panther). Let me know if you have any questions-I've been working with this species for the last couple years now so I might be able to help. In case you haven't already seen these articles:
http://www.chameleonnews.com/weider.html
http://www.chameleonnews.com/idwieder.html

The 2006 quotas have been released for some time (those are managed by CITES). The issue is the exporters permits for 2006 (managed by the Tanzanian governement). There are a couple shipments scheduled to come in under old 2005 permits to complete the 2005 quota but I've not yet heard that the 2006 exporters permits have been issued. I have a call in to figure it out though so I'll let you know.

Chris

Last edited:
Chris,

You talk to some of the people I know. Give them a call and I'm sure they'll tell you what they've told me. I just found out yesterday. I hear of your work and hear a lot of good things you're doing with your projects.

Back
Top Bottom