I messed up! :(

Champeleons

I just got my order from Pangea today, & a couple things were messed up. I guess its my mistake, but certainly an easy newbie one. I ordered 2 18" hoods & 2 5.0 Reptisun fluorescent bulbs. The problem is, the hood is for a compact bulb, & i got the straight one. I went on the website to see where i messed up, & in the small print, it says the hood is for 1 heat bulb & 1 uvb compact fluorescent. The biggest problem is that Pangea seems to only carry that type of hood, & the only compact fluorescent they carry is 10.0. Which should i replace, the hood or the bulb? I dont think this is the coil bulb eveyone was warning about, it seems like the other 1, except shaped in a U:eek:

Replace the hood. You want the tube reptisun 5.0, the coil bulb can cause MAJOR eye issues. LLL reptile has plenty, I use the zoomed one. Spend the extra couple bucks compared to the generic, it puts off my light.

Replace the hood. Go to walmart and get a cheap fixture. Don't forget to remove the plastic.

ok, when everyone was telling ppl not to use coil bulbs, i am pretty sure you were talking about the spiral ones(at least that was my impression), the 1 i am talking about is a fluorescent too, it has 1 bend in it, so you are saying the 2 hoods i bought are useless, cause it takes a compact fluorescent bulb?

Spiral and coil are both compact bulbs. Compact bulbs damage eyes. Spiral bulbs are the most commonly referred to compact.

Why don't you try selling what you have bought on ebay? You should be able to get your money back or at least most of it, seeing as the stuff is new. Then buy the 5.0 zoomed tube and fitting else where.

If it is a screw in lamp hood, you could use 6500K CFL lamps to brighten the cage and then go out and get the correct linear tube fixture.

ok, i decided to try to sell the hoods locally, but 1 important question, being that the hoods can only use the compact fluorescent tube & are not good for chameleons, what reptiles(or other animal) are they safe for? I need to know so i dont hurt the buyers pet!;)

Correct Sabrina. I meant CFL as in compact fluorescent lamps that are not UVB lamps. So instead of providing UVB you would provide more visual light. 6500K is the color tempature of the light coming off the lamp. the lower the number, the more 'warm' the light looks. the higher the number the more white/blue the color becomes. 6500K is a good color temp. for growing plants indoors and will help keep your plants healthy.

You can find 6500K lamps in linear tubes as well. I, and several other people have had trouble finding 24 and 36" T8 size lamps, typically those are T12 at Lowe's. You shouldn't have issue finding the 18" and 48" in T8 though.

Zoo Med also sells their own branded 6500K lamp, but I imagine the price isn't as good as Home Depot or Lowe's :eek:

I think you will have trouble selling your hoods for what you paid.... so ya might want to just return them if you decide you don't want to keep them. UVB CFL lamps do seem to have been 'fixed' but I still wouldn't use them..... If you do find someone who is willing to use them, just be sure to tell them to check the packaging. Follow this link.

Thanks everyone for your input, & yes, i wouldnt get my full $ back on selling the hoods(i got them from the US, & although i am pretty sure Pangea would take them back, i more than likely would need to pay for shipping), so i will probably hold on for now, & maybe an opportunity will arise to see them for close to cost!

Back
Top Bottom