I love the view from my Bed...

SoCaliSon

Avid Member
Well now that I am all settled in to my new place I have gotten everything setup just how I like it. This is just the rack I have in my room... I am expanding in the back yard as well... I will pics coming of those soon. I imagine this setup will rearrange a bit after the show this weekend also...So I thought I would grab some pics of it now.

Instead of watching tv in the afternoon... I like to lay down and watch the "Chameleons in the Mist".

~Joe

Rack008.jpg

Rack009.jpg

Last edited:
Could you help me out? Because all the books say you have to have the tops of the cages up about 6 ft off the floor, I do that. I would like to be able to expand my chameleons but I am not sure about putting any of them on the lower shelf. I see lots and lots of you guys do it, is there and problems you have with the chams? Is there any particular type of Cham that is better kept on the lower level? I have the cages, lights, etc. I just worry about the chams. I would love any help or thoughts. Your looks great so I have hope.

How in the world are you no drenching everything underneath those cages? Don't you need some sort of drainage system?

Man, that's so much better than TV :)

It looks like there is a plastic container under each enclosure. Are they for catching water from a hole in the base of the enclosure above? (soon setting up for my first cham)

It looks like there is a plastic container under each enclosure. Are they for catching water from a hole in the base of the enclosure above? (soon setting up for my first cham)

Mist cycles under 5 minutes? I mist for longer and consequently have a lot of water run off. Those little containers would be full in no time flat.

Could you help me out? Because all the books say you have to have the tops of the cages up about 6 ft off the floor, I do that. I would like to be able to expand my chameleons but I am not sure about putting any of them on the lower shelf. I see lots and lots of you guys do it, is there and problems you have with the chams? Is there any particular type of Cham that is better kept on the lower level? I have the cages, lights, etc. I just worry about the chams. I would love any help or thoughts. Your looks great so I have hope.

Laurie,
In the 12 or 13 years keeping chams, I have never followed that 6ft rule. Never ever had any problems.

@Laurie... I worried about this for a while and decided to give it a shot with my females. They don't seem to stress at all down there. I actually removed front privacy sheets from the 2 bottom left cages for the pics as those are two females that should be laying any day, when this is the case I cover those cages to allow for a bit more privacy.

@CNorton... I have holes drilled in the bottom center of each cage with those bins to catch the water... I works really well as long as their is weight in the center of the cage. I am set at four 5 min sessions daily, and after what evaps and gets into the plants I empty them once a day... they never really get to full... Some get more full than others depending on where the plants are positioned.

I've also wondered about the cage hight thing. Thanks for clearing that up!

What size are those female cages and whats in the tank on the far left?

Sweet setup BTW.

I've also wondered about the cage hight thing. Thanks for clearing that up!

What size are those female cages and whats in the tank on the far left?

Sweet setup BTW.

Thanks,

The two females on the left are in like 17"x17"x30"(When I get a chance to adjust the rack which is a pin in the ars... I am going to move them into 16x16x36"ers) ... The small cage on the right is a gorgeous little female ambilobe that just came today from Gesang(ChameleonsNorthwest Thanks Elliot and Sandy!) for breeding project my bud Roddie and I are working on... She is Robbie's and will be going to his house once he is off work.

The tank on the left in currently an empty 35 gal glass tank... That I am toying with ideas on what to do with. Most likely it will end up being a Brev enclosure sometime soon. In the cabinet beneath it is where my mister pump and reservoir are located at the moment.

Edit: On top of the glass tank is one of the cages I will be using for a pick up from this weekend.

Thanks JJ! lol... I hate wearing shoes... They drive me crazy...Unfortunately I am forced to wear work boots quite a bit... So I end up with "perma-socks"..lol

~Joe

You and me both Joe, for me its thongs whenever possible, my work boots used to get collected by the pest control guy on weekends to fumigate warehouses! :D

Laurie,
In the 12 or 13 years keeping chams, I have never followed that 6ft rule. Never ever had any problems.

wow, there was a rule?? where have I been.....
Hell, just dawned on my that u all have those tubs under the cages for the water to drain to.....imagine that!! I thought thats what the carpet was for!!

I usually like to have tile underneath my racks just in case... But that wasn't an option here... But I have kept an eye on the carpet to see if it is getting wet at all... and there is no over spray or stray draining going on... All the extra water ends up in the bins.

@Laurie... I worried about this for a while and decided to give it a shot with my females. They don't seem to stress at all down there. I actually removed front privacy sheets from the 2 bottom left cages for the pics as those are two females that should be laying any day, when this is the case I cover those cages to allow for a bit more privacy.

Hey thanks Joe and thanks to you also Lance. My husband will be REALLY happy to know :rolleyes: I now have space for more chams, too many is never enough is it?

Back
Top Bottom