I live in the suburbs of Chicago. How can I go about acquiring walking stick insects as feeders?

I agree. I've ordered 2 kinds from Nick. Tough to keep alive though. They need specific food.

You can search him on the forums

Technically it is legal to keep walking stick insects because I'm using them as feeders and pets.
First, establish a source of the correct leaves they'll eat. Depending on what they were raised on, they may not eat anything else. And, the plant has to produce fresh leaves year round unless you don't want to try keeping them going all winter.

I got sticks from Nick 2 1/2 years ago. I only feed them organic romaine lettuce and they are doing very well.

Deb

I live in Chicago and I'm currently keeping some of nick barta's Indian walking sticks on romain lettuce.
I tried ordering a different variety but the winter shipping may be too tough on them.. Email @nick barta

Deb has had success with organic Romaine lettuce for a long enough time that I am comfortable recommending it for the sticks she has. Deb did you get Indians or Pink-wings?

One of the advantages to Indians is they eat Ivy which is a year round plant in milder winters, but also can be raised indoors. You can get it at garden centers.

I am incubating 3 more types of sticks, and have one hatching now, that eat Ivy due to it's availability.

Some species that eat Oak leaves in the summer will eat frozen oak leaves thawed out and put in their cages.

I got the Indians. I always provide them fresh Romaine and mist once a day. They are really doing great. Thanks Nick!

Deb

Back
Top Bottom