I know this guy scammed me...

Derekjo

Bought a pair of Verrucosus Chameleons at the reptile expo the other week. I know as a general rule you don't house a male and female together. So why in the heck (besides to sell me a pair) would this guy tell me that I can house a male and female together??? Right now I've got them in the same enclosure, with another on the way but the female will not eat. She just doesn't look good at all sometimes. She sleeps during the day under the light, and sometimes is just swung over a vein only holding on with her back legs. Just stuff that looks worrying. Do you guys think it's just stress related? From what I noticed, they both seem to stay away from each other but general rule is to not house them together so why this guy was pretty much just trying to make the sale right?

-one picture is of the female sleeping on top of the males face... Kinda cute.

Attachments

• IMG_20190610_150608.jpg
    IMG_20190610_150608.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20190602_225815.jpg
    IMG_20190602_225815.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 15602569105611151237238441868691.jpg
    15602569105611151237238441868691.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 145
do you know if they're wild caught? seems like they may be...a lot of chams dont do good with transportation on a large scale. too stressful, im not too knowledgeable on this species but they sure are cute! i would get fecals done on them incase theyre wild caught. the two in the cage will be stressful, buy a big plant and have one on the plant and one in the cage, it will be better, the sleeping while lights are on is a big problem which leads me to believe theyre wild caught because captive breeders should never sell a cham in this condition... hopefully they'll be ok

And that was my mistake as well. I didn't ask whether or not they were WC. I always get confused when the seller will actually take the cham out of the container it's in and let people hold it because of I don't see it get angry and puff, immediately think "oh wow. It doesn't look too scared". That's why I didn't think about asking. Stupid me. I'll head over to the local farmers market here and get a ficus. Thanks!! I'll also be calling a vet today to make an appt.
do you know if they're wild caught? seems like they may be...a lot of chams dont do good with transportation on a large scale. too stressful, im not too knowledgeable on this species but they sure are cute! i would get fecals done on them incase theyre wild caught. the two in the cage will be stressful, buy a big plant and have one on the plant and one in the cage, it will be better, the sleeping while lights are on is a big problem which leads me to believe theyre wild caught because captive breeders should never sell a cham in this condition... hopefully they'll be ok

Fogger shouldn't be on during the day, please fill out the care sheet, if they're sleeping during the day that's a bad sign. Have you made a vet appt? Honestly, I would just free range one of them while you wait for the cage.
I have it on a timer to go on for an hour around 12pm bc at that point I'm still at work and I misted then in the morning. You think they'll be fine with the humidity drop? Making a vet appt this week.

I have it on a timer to go on for an hour around 12pm bc at that point I'm still at work and I misted then in the morning. You think they'll be fine with the humidity drop? Making a vet appt this week.
Having the fogger on in the middle of the day when the heat is at its peak will create hot, wet air which can cause respiratory issues. If you are concerned about humidity in the middle of the day, you need to invest in an automatic mister and live plants

Please fill out this form so some more experienced keepers can chime in to help with the health of your new babies
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

• Your Chameleon - Verrucosus Chameleons (Male and Female). Been in my possession for about 3 1/2 weeks.
  • Handling - Not since I put them in the cage to let them acclimate.
  • Feeding - crickets and superworms. 2 to 3 times a week. There is calcium in the food for crickets.
  • Supplements - Repti Cal with D3 only the first feeding of the week.
  • Watering - I have a drip dripping from the top middle of the tank onto a plastic plant. I mist in the morning and early night between 6 and 8pm. I also have a fogger in there. Was fogging 15 hours throughout the day but will only fog during the night. I don't see my Chameleons drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Poop is solid and one piece. The top of it is more white than yellowish. Has not been tested for parasites.
  • History - Received them from repticon in Raleigh NC. Housing them together at the moment due to mistrust. Male Chameleon tried to mate with the female immediately and the female wasn't having any of it. Was holding her own and fighting him off. He eventually realized she was not a force to be reckoned with. No idea if they are WC or CB.
Cage Info
  • Cage Type - 100% screen.
  • Lighting - All living things 75w basking bulb, a 25w mini halogen light and a UVB zoomed reptisun bulb. 830am to 7pm.
  • Temperature - High 80s to low 90s to high 70s on floor. Temp gun to measure.
  • Humidity - 90 to 95% humidity after spraying in the morning. Drops quite a bit but is maintained better now that I have live plants. Misting and fogger to maintain humidity.
  • Plants - peperomia and birds nest fern.
  • Placement - In the living room. Not near air vent. TV and couch are in the same room. It's about 3 feet of the ground.
  • Location - Inland. Warm high Humidity right now. Morrisville NC.

• Your Chameleon - Verrucosus Chameleons (Male and Female). Been in my possession for about 3 1/2 weeks.
  • Handling - Not since I put them in the cage to let them acclimate.
  • Feeding - crickets and superworms. 2 to 3 times a week. There is calcium in the food for crickets.
  • Supplements - Repti Cal with D3 only the first feeding of the week.
  • Watering - I have a drip dripping from the top middle of the tank onto a plastic plant. I mist in the morning and early night between 6 and 8pm. I also have a fogger in there. Was fogging 15 hours throughout the day but will only fog during the night. I don't see my Chameleons drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Poop is solid and one piece. The top of it is more white than yellowish. Has not been tested for parasites.
  • History - Received them from repticon in Raleigh NC. Housing them together at the moment due to mistrust. Male Chameleon tried to mate with the female immediately and the female wasn't having any of it. Was holding her own and fighting him off. He eventually realized she was not a force to be reckoned with. No idea if they are WC or CB.
Cage Info
  • Cage Type - 100% screen.
  • Lighting - All living things 75w basking bulb, a 25w mini halogen light and a UVB zoomed reptisun bulb. 830am to 7pm.
  • Temperature - High 80s to low 90s to high 70s on floor. Temp gun to measure.
  • Humidity - 90 to 95% humidity after spraying in the morning. Drops quite a bit but is maintained better now that I have live plants. Misting and fogger to maintain humidity.
  • Plants - peperomia and birds nest fern.
  • Placement - In the living room. Not near air vent. TV and couch are in the same room. It's about 3 feet of the ground.
  • Location - Inland. Warm high Humidity right now. Morrisville NC.

What are the dimensions of the enclosure? That's important info for us to know

I don't have a picture but I would assume you could just hang it on a shelf a few feet from the tree

Back
Top Bottom